Updates for VIP Service
Follow Symantec VIP on Twitter @SymantecVIP
The latest update to Symantec Validation and ID Protection Service is live. Improved manageability and an even better administrator and user experience through numerous UI enhancements is again the theme of this release. Much of the focus surrounds the user experience with Intelligent Authentication and Registered Computer; and the administration of Remembered Devices and out-of-band authentication.
Summary of New Features
- VIP Manager redesign continues – updated user emails
- Streamlined experience for users of VIP risk-based authentication (Intelligent Authentication) and Registered Computer
- Enhanced Remembered Device Management
- Enhanced account management for out-of-band authentication through user specified country codes
- Symantec VIP platform and OS requirements can be found on the VIP website under System Requirements
- VIP Manager Redesign Continues - A note on the login screen of the original VIP Manager has been added with the URL for the redesigned VIP Manager https://manager.vip.symantec.com. The original VIP Manager will continue to be available to you until the end of May to continue the smooth transition. Both VIP Manager interfaces use the same database backend allowing you to use them interchangeably if desired.
- Streamlined Experience for Users of Intelligent Authentication and Registered Computer - Although VIP risk-based authentication (Intelligent Authentication) has utilized Registered Computer for some time now, the process for registering your device upon login using Intelligent Authentication has been significantly streamlined. With this release you no long are required to pre-register or leave the login screen to register your device – and a checkbox means the remembered device will be used in the future (no more typing in security codes). VIP risk-based authentication uses several means to evaluate the riskiness of a login attempt: is it a known/trusted device, what of the device’s reputation, and is the user behavior unusual. Registered computer is a key data point to determining the trustworthiness of a device; therefore improving the user experience when using it is a major enhancement.
- Enhanced Remembered Device Management - Managing token-less authentication and remembered devices just got easier. This update of VIP breaks these credentials out of the Credential section to improve visibility and administration. By drilling down into User Detail, administrators will continue to see the section labeled Credential, but if Intelligent Authentication (token-less risk-based authentication) or Registered Computer is being utilized you will also see a section labeled Remembered Device, with a type listed as Device Fingerprint or Registered Computer respectively. In addition, you can now rename or remove remembered devices associated with a particular user.
- Chrome browser support has been added for Registered Computer on Windows XP, 7, and Vista.
- Improved Account Management for Out-of-band Authentication - When SMS or Voice Call has been enabled in the VIP Components tab (under Account/VIP Policy Configuration), you can select a default country code for your out-of-band (OOB) usage. This eliminates the need to edit all phone numbers within your LDAP user store to add country codes. SMS and Voice OOB can be used for temporary security codes and by VIP risk-based authentication for an OOB challenge. If VIP policy is set then the specified country code will be prefixed to any phone number entered in the self-service portal or pulled from your data store (if it does not already have a country code with a “+”). If the country code is “None” then the phone numbers are not changed. Only one country code can be specified per account. More information can be found by selecting Help in VIP Manager.
We value your business and are committed to customer care. Please contact us if we can assist or answer any questions. Symantec Support can be reached via email at: email@example.com or by phone at +1-650-426-3535 or 1-800-579-2848.