Andres asked, "Can you tell me some more about the Dell Client Manager?"
Hi Andres. You, like many Altiris customers have heard about the new Dell Client Manager (DCM) solution that is currently scheduled to release in Q1 2006. This is a brand new solution from Altiris that will install into Altiris Notification Server. It will be available as part of either Dell OMCA 3.0 or Altiris Client Management Suite. This solution will offer the following features:
- Scan and collect the BIOS settings and hardware values for your Dell Precision, OptiPlex, and Latitude client systems
- Upgrade the BIOS on multiple target systems with a single task
- Change BIOS settings for multiple target systems with a single task (policy based replicating of BIOS profiles against collections)
- Monitor critical hardware components for warnings or failures
- Inventory Dell hardware specific components
This solution will eliminate the need for using multiple Dell OpenManage tools that are commonly used today (including OMCC, OMCI, DCCU, ITA, etc.). Altiris is actually bundling Dell OMCI code as part of the Altiris agent for this tool.
So in short, the new DCM solution from Altiris will let Dell customers leverage the best client management features of Dell OpenManage for their Dell systems without ever having to leave the Altiris console. Look for future webcasts and white papers to drill down on specific functions as we get close to the release date.