Whatever Your Role, Symantec App Center Makes Mobile Application Management and Protection Easy
Symantec designed Symantec App Center specifically to ensure that all user roles have the best possible experience – whether you are a developer creating mobile apps, an IT admin deploying apps and managing users and devices, or a user deciding which apps are best to download.
Four things developers need to know about using Symantec App Center:
- Developers don’t need to use any SDK’s or API’s – in fact you don’t change your code in any way whatsoever
- They can use App Center to distribute native or web apps
- Developers don’t need to stress about mobile security or policy management – their IT Admin will take care of that at distribution time
- The normally painful process of managing your trials with mobile users become painless, including iOS ad hoc distribution management
Just login and upload your app when it’s ready for publishing. That’s it. IT admins will take care of the rest.
Four simple steps for IT Admins to manage mobile corporate apps:
- Authorize users and associate their devices with them
- For example, Marianne has both a corporate Android phone and a personal iPad and both may be used for her apps
- User credentials may be tied to your identity infrastructure (e.g. Active Directory)
- Create relevant corporate policies
- These dictate whether user authentication, encryption, offline access, etc. is required or allowed for each category of app
- Apply the relevant policy to an app before distribution
- Don’t worry, if no specific policy is applied the corporate default will be used
- Determine which users or groups of users will be allowed to access the app and receive notifications of its availability
First time users get an email with a link to download the App Center client onto their mobile device. They just login and see the apps that they are entitled to download. Then they download and run the apps – it’s that simple.
Not sure which apps areneeded? Log onto the self-service portal and check out all the apps available, complete with app categories, screenshots, previews, ratings and feedback – just like the consumer app stores that they are used to – and add their chosen ones to thier own set of apps.
And users will be notified of any updates via e-mail – just login to the App Center client and download the updated apps. Simple.