New Release: Symantec Data Insight 3.0
A majority of an organization’s information is unstructured, and data growth is exploding. Despite best efforts and significant investments, IT lacks critical insights, such as who owns the data and how it’s being used. This leads to significant challenges in managing an organization’s data governance objectives – protecting important business data, achieving regulatory compliance and driving down costs and improving efficiency to manage this rapid data growth.
What is Data Insight?
Symantec Data Insight helps organizations improve data governance through data owner identification and visibility into data usage and access permissions. With these insights into the data, organizations are able to manage data growth in order to reduce costs, protect the data from security risks and manage compliance.
Data Management and Storage Optimization:
- Discover inactive or orphan data. Find inactive or orphan data and engage the custodians who are the managers of data in data cleanup, retention and lifecycle management efforts.
- Improve accountability for storage consumption. Identify data owners and map them to departments or line of business for business-level consumption or chargeback reporting to help promote storage efficiency.
- Understand usage patterns. Understand usage and consumption patterns to help reclamation, tiering, archiving, and capacity planning decisions.
Data Protection and Compliance:
- Improve accountability for data protection and security. Identify data owners for compliance purposes as well as for securing confidential, sensitive data with Symantec Data Loss Prevention integration.
- Monitor data activity. Understand who is using the data, how often they are accessing it, and proactively monitor for anomalous activity. Enable custodians to review activity on their data for compliance.
- Audit permissions and discover open shares. Enable custodians to review access permissions or entitlements to their data for compliance. Find locations, such as files or folders, with overly permissive access rights and excessive activity. This information can help organizations prioritize risk remediation as well as review permissions to limit access to data.
What's New on Data Insight 3.0?
- Data custodian management. Enable the business/data owner to become the custodian of the data providing data governance automation.
- Heterogeneous support. Extend Data Insight to support SharePoint, NFS on NetApp NAS and Unix hosts with Veritas Storage Foundation File System.
- Auditing enhancements. Support for new events and granular auditing
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit) SP2 or higher
- VMware ESX Server 3.5
Supported File Servers
- Microsoft Windows File Server 2003 SP1 or higher, Windows 2008 (64-bit)
- NetApp DataONTAP version 7.3.1 or higher
- EMC Celerra DART version 5.6.45 or higher
- SharePoint 2007 and 2010 *NEW on Data Insight 3.0*
- Unix with Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 *NEW on Data Insight 3.0*
Product Download: http://fileconnect.symantec.com
Documentation can be found within the software package on File Connect and in the Altiris Knowledge Base.
Data Insight technical articles are located in the Altiris Knowledgebase. Login credentials are required. If you do not have your login credentials, they can be requested from the Altiris Knowledgebase Login page. Please add “Data Insight customer” in the comments of your login request.
Data Insight 3.0 Release Notes
Data Insight 3.0 Installation Guide
Data Insight 3.0 Administrator’s Guide
Data Insight 3.0 User’s Guide
Confident Insights Newsletter: A View from 2015 on Information Explosion