Screencasts - Hilfsvideos
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Exchange 2010 DAG backups don't seem to obey max_jobs

Created: 04 Okt. 2012 • Aktualisiert: 04 Okt. 2012 | 6 Kommentare

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what is happening with my Exchange DAG backups. We have two mailbox servers, mbx-1 and mbx-2, in our DAG, which is called staffmbx. Each database is backed up under it's own policy so that I can run ad-hoc backups on a per database basis when necessary.

I was getting a lot of 196 errors and noticed that only one backup was running at a time. I increased the maximum jobs per client for the DAG (./bpclient -client staffmbx -add -max_jobs 2). That certainly allowed two concurrent jobs but it seems to override the max_jobs for each mailbox server such that both jobs can run on one mailbox server whilst the other sits idle; that not what I had intended.

Is there a way to keep the DAG maximum concurrent jobs at 2 whilst limiting it to 1 on each mailbox server whilst keeping each database backup in it's own policy.

Thanks for any help offered.

Regards,

Mark

Kommentare KommentareZum neuesten Kommentar

das Bild der Mark_Solutionss

You have set the max jobs for the DAG to 2 so you could also specifically set the max jobs to each mailbox server to 1 which hopefully will give you what you want

It amy however still get over-ridden by the other setting

I am surprise you have an issue here as many of my customers happily run several at the same time without issue

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

das Bild der Mark Newalls

Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, I have already tried that but with no luck.

Even if I allow more concurrent backups it won't balance the load between the two nodes, i.e. if I set the DAG max_jobs to 4, then all 4 could run on a single node rather than 2 on each.

Regards,

Mark

So just to confirm - if you add mbx-1 to the Master Servers client host properties - client attributes section and set its maximum data streams to 1 it still does more than 1?

Bit naughty that!

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

In that case i would raise a case with Symantec then - although you will need to have specified the names exactly as they appear when the jobs runs in activity monitor to make sure the settings run - so it may need a FDQN to properly take the setting

The only  other way is to have just one policy for each mbx server but that is not great if you get a failure or if databases fail over to another node

Keep us updated

das Bild der Mark Newalls

Just thought I'd update you on progress with Symantec support on this issue.

Basically they said that what I wanted to do wasn't possible. You can only limit the number of jobs on the DAG, this overides the client setting.

On a positive note I am now running multiple jobs on a node simultaneously without any issues.

Regards,

Mark