Custom Inventory for IE Version
Due to XP EOL and Patches not being distributable via Altiris I had to come up with a way to patch IE as we will be receiving the XP updates for one more year (paid service).
I have not learned how to do detection rules or applicability rules yet but it is on my to do list. Hopefully this will help someone.
OS side is easy to do but IE is more difficult as Add Remove Programs does not contain ALL machines with IE versions.
You need to create a custom data class:
- All Settings> Discovery and Inventory> Inventory Solution> manage Custom Data Classes
- Name MUST BE AeX OS Internet Explorer (or you need to edit the vbs to reflect your name)
- Attribute: Version
- Data type: String
- Size: 50 (left default but you can change)
- Key: No
- Required: No
- Copy in AexOSIE.vbs to your software repository
- Add new software item to the catalog
- Command line: wscript.exe aexosie.vbs
- Target your machines and schedule to run
After the inventories start coming in you then can target. I am planning on doing a dynamic filter that will utilize machines in a specific version of IE then also use the " NOT IN " AddRemove table for the KB
select Guid from vResource where ResourceTypeGuid in (select ResourceTypeGuid from ResourceTypeHierarchy where BaseResourceTypeGuid='493435f7-3b17-4c4c-b07f-c23e7ab7781f') and GUID IN ( Select t2.[ResourceGUID] FROM [vCollection] t1 inner join [CollectionMembership] t2 on t1.GUID = t2.CollectionGUID inner join [Inv_Aex_AC_Identification] t3 on t2.ResourceGUID = t3._resourceGUID WHERE t1.[Name] = 'Windows XP Computers' and t2.[ResourceGUID] NOT IN ( select t1._ResourceGuid from [Inv_AddRemoveProgram] t1 where t1.DisplayName like '%(KB2718523)%'))
That is it. I hope it helps someone else out. I understand this may not be the easiest but it does work. Since I am reading that Patch does the detection rules, that maybe the best approach but until I learn that, this will have to do.
- AexOSIE.doc - rename to .vbs as this is the custom inventory vbs
- Internet Explorer Version by Machine.xml - custom report showing machine name and IE version - right click enabled
- Internet Explorer Version Count.xml - custom report with a simple IE Version and count
Jeffrey J. Riggs