Internet Explorer 7 for Windows 7 Layer Definition File
The Internet Explorer 7 for Windows 7 Layer Definition File (LDF) provides a mechanism for customers of Symantec Workspace Virtualization to create the Virtual Application Layer and package without the need to capture the installation.
- Symantec Workspace Virtualization v6.1 SP5 or greater.
- Symantec Workspace Virtualization Layer Definition Tool. Download.
The steps for creating the IE7 for Windows 7 are very straight-forward.
The follow steps must be done on Windows XP SP3 with the latest updates.
1. Extract the download that accompanies this article to your desktop (ie7-win7-x.x.x.x.zip - where -x.x.x.x is the LDF version).
2. Double-Click the .EXE file ( ie7-win7-x.x.x.x.EXE ). This will invoke swvldf.exe (Layer Definition Tool) with the proper parameters to create the IE7 on Windows 7 layer.
Supported Side-By-Side Configurations
Internet Explorer 7 Virtualized will function "Side-By-Side" with the following versions of IE installed to the base (i.e. installed natively and not virtualized).
|Internet Explorer 8||X|
|Internet Explorer 9||X|
Note: Internet Explorer 8 includes an IE 7 compatibility mode that provides IE7 compatibility. See theMicrosoft Knowledge Base article for more information.
IE7 on Windows 7 supports both Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit Operating Systems.
Information about the support status of the IE7 layer created by this tool can be found here .
Please note that the IE7 layer created by this tool is only supported if the LDF and the Virtual Application Layer are not altered in any way.
- 'Delete Browsing History' function sometimes does not work properly
- 'Manage Favorites' functions sometimes does not work properly
- "Manage Add-ons" function does not work.
- Adobe Reader 10.x does not work.
- History functions, such as 'Delete Browsing History', sometimes do not work properly.
- Functions inside 'Manage Favorites' dialog sometimes do not work properly.
- Adobe Flash Player can not be installed while the layer is in active state.
- Performance issues detected
Documentation on the SWV Layer Definition Tool can be found here .
How it works
The swvldf.exe tool is passed an Layer Definition File (LDF) that contains XML tags that define all the data required to create a Virtual Application Layer. The files required for the Virtual Application Layer are downloaded from public sites on the internet and may require considerable time to complete depending on the file requirements. It is also possible alter the LDF to point to existing files that you already have available on your system. Please see the documentation to learn how to change the <file-source> tags to point to local file repositories. By default the <file-source> tags that download files using http do not use a proxy server. In order to use a proxy server please see the documentation for the "conn-str" attribute of the <file-source> tag.
|05/15/2012||184.108.40.206||Updated with latest security update KB2675157|
|01/17/2013||220.127.116.11||Update with latest security updates KB2761465 (SWV 6.4.1603)|
|02/28/2013||18.104.22.168||Update with latest security updates MS13-009 & MS13-010 (SWV 6.4.1603)|
|03/20/2013||22.214.171.124||Update with latest security updates MS13-021 - KB2809289 (SWV 6.4.1603)|
|04/30/2013||126.96.36.199||Update with latest security updates KB2817183 (SWV 6.4.1711)|
|05/17/2013||188.8.131.52||Update with latest security updates KB2847204 (SWV 6.4.1711)|
|07/02/2013||184.108.40.206||Update with latest security updates KB2838727 (SWV 6.4.1711)|
|08/07/2013||220.127.116.11||Update with latest security updates KB2846071 (SWV 6.4.1895)|
|10/31/2013||18.104.22.168||Update with latest security updates KB2870699 (SWV 6.4.1895)|
|11/19/2013||22.214.171.124||Update with latest security updates KB2888505(SWV 7.5.522)|
|12/20/2013||126.96.36.199||Update with latest security updates KB2898785(SWV 7.5.522)|
|1/21/2014||188.8.131.52||Update to display the LDF build version (SWV 7.5.522)|
|2/13/2014||184.108.40.206||Update with latest security updates KB2909921(SWV 7.5.687)|
|3/13/2014||220.127.116.11||Update with latest security updates KB2925418(SWV 7.5.716)|
|4/22/2014||18.104.22.168||Update with latest security updates KB2950467(SWV 7.5.522)|
|05/06/2014||22.214.171.124||Update with latest security updates KB2964358(SWV 7.5.749)|
|06/25/2014||126.96.36.199||Resolves IE Crash|