Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. What to do next?

Created: 15 Nov 2010 • Updated: 26 Nov 2010 | 15 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a mailbox I want to restore in full. The servers I use for this are configured as follows:

Exchange 2007 latest SP, Windows 2003 R2 x64.
Backup server, Windows 2008 R2 x64.

We are backing up to tape. A HP Ultrium. No errors or anything when backupping. All goes well.
I used a duplicate backup set to get the data from tape onto my server for faster restore. Then I try to restore from it but get the following error:

Job ended: maandag 15 november 2010 at 14:49:45 Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource. Final error category: Resource Errors

I checked the account used to restore, works fine.
Checked if Hide from Exchange address lists was checked. Was also fine.
Tried restoring from tape directly, same error.
Tried adding the hostname from the exchange server in the host file on the backup server.

Any tips on what to try next?
 

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

sazz.'s picture

check the system logon accunt and make sure you have the correct credentials for it.

Also make sure the account you are using should be unique, unhidden from GAL, domain

admin, exchange organization administrator, active mailbox. Make sure you have the exchange management tool installed on BE server of the same version and rollup pack that you have on exchange.

if it is on ws 2008 then edit the host file with the below configuration:

 

ip address backup server name(host name)

ip address backup server name(fqdn)

ip address exchange server(host name)

ip address exchange server(fqdn)

and ignore the ip v6 so it should be #::1

christiaang's picture

System logon account I already checkec multiple times. No doubt that those are correct.

Second option I also already tried.

Host file is edited as you mentioned.

CraigV's picture

Hi Christiaan,

 

What happens if you try duplicating to disk? Do you get the same error?

If you don't know how, you can follow the steps below:

 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

christiaang's picture

Yep, same error. This is what I normally use because it's faster. But I get the same error.

sazz.'s picture

How you are selecting the restore options?

You are just selecting the individual items needs to be restore and redirecting it to other one or doing it directly to the original one.

Also is your exchange in cluster?

In the job go to resource credentials and select the system logon account  and check credentials and see if it comes successfull there or not.

christiaang's picture

I'm selecting the mail server, then I expend first storage group, the database, look for the user, expand it's properties and then select all the mail boxes. I try to restore to the original exchange server that is still running.

It's a single Exchange Standard server.

I checked the credentials every time I try to restore, every time succesfull.

christiaang's picture

Any more ideas from anyone? I'm a bit stuck here and the customere would love to see his mail get restored. I've done it several times with different installs at other customers, no problem at all. This is the first time it's giving me trouble.

CraigV's picture

OK...2 other things to try:

 

1. Remove the Exchange license from the media server, and reinstall it. Try the restore once more.

2. Remove the RAWS agent from the Exchange server, and then reinstall it via a push-install from the media server.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

christiaang's picture

Removed the license, added it and tried restore. Same result.

Removed the agent from the exchange server, reinstalled through a push-install. Same result.

I get this error again: e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource

CraigV's picture

...let me know if I must escalate to support for you.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

christiaang's picture

That might be actually helpfull. Seems we've tried everything and it's still not working. :(

Would be the first time for me, but we still have a valid support contract

christiaang's picture

Yes, that is not the case either. Names haven't changed. Settings are the same and they can see each other perfectly. Thanks for the tip though.

christiaang's picture

Just tried upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R2. But still the exact same error.

christiaang's picture

Ok. Tried all options again to see if I missed anything. The solution was to check hide from address list, press apply and then remove it again... Then it suddenly worked..

Very strange, but glad it worked.
Thanks for all the tips I got.

SOLUTION