Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Created: 12 May 2009 • Updated: 22 May 2010 | 2 comments
I'm having one really stubborn job that is always failing on what appears to be a shadow copy related issue. One thing that's really confusing is the mention of Advanced File Option being used. Reason why I say this; is because I don't have this feature enabled yet. The target system is a Windows 2k3 server running SP2 if that helps any. Please see the text below for the error:

---------------------

Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERNAME\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Registry, Writer ID: {AFBAB4A2-367D-4D15-A586-71DBB18F8485}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed. The operation cannot be retried (0x800423f4), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:”.
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
---------------------

Looking around the event log, the only thing I could find for the above Backup Exec error was this:

---------------------

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SERVERNAME") (Job: "pol001 - INC") pol001 - INC -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

bjash's picture

I have seen this error on occasion.  A reboot of the affected server does the trick.  I agree that I believe it to be related to the VSS service, but restarting all of the related services doesn't fix it, but a reboot has for us in the past.