Video Screencast Help

0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Created: 12 May 2009 • Updated: 22 May 2010 | 2 comments
I'm having one really stubborn job that is always failing on what appears to be a shadow copy related issue. One thing that's really confusing is the mention of Advanced File Option being used. Reason why I say this; is because I don't have this feature enabled yet. The target system is a Windows 2k3 server running SP2 if that helps any. Please see the text below for the error:

---------------------

Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERNAME\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Registry, Writer ID: {AFBAB4A2-367D-4D15-A586-71DBB18F8485}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed. The operation cannot be retried (0x800423f4), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:”.
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
---------------------

Looking around the event log, the only thing I could find for the above Backup Exec error was this:

---------------------

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SERVERNAME") (Job: "pol001 - INC") pol001 - INC -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

bjash's picture

I have seen this error on occasion.  A reboot of the affected server does the trick.  I agree that I believe it to be related to the VSS service, but restarting all of the related services doesn't fix it, but a reboot has for us in the past.