File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 10, 2011 06:44 AM

I have installed the PGP Desktop 10.0.3 on a new notebook that has the i3-380M  processor, Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset, Win7 Pro 64-bit, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB disk with 32MB Cache.

,  4 ,,The whole disk encryption install was successful but when the pass phrase is entered the only key on the keyboard that does not work is the "enter key". The work around is to plug in a USB keyboard, press enter to accept the pass phrase value, and then unplug the USB keyboard. 

I have tried the install in a different notebook with the same results.

I have un-encrypted the drive, uninstalled the PGP software, rebooted, re-downloaded the PGP software, re-installed PGP 10.0.3, and re-encrypted the whole drive, but I have the same results.

Is there a patch for this issue?

Latest BIOS, same problem on identical systems, TPM has no effect on issue.

• 2.  RE: 10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 11, 2011 12:44 PM

Is it a "touch" keyboard? 

What kind of computer are you using? Sometimes the AIO computer may find this kind of issues because of driver incompatibility. 

What is the BIOS vendor and version? 

• 3.  RE: 10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 11, 2011 04:22 PM

It is a Compal NBLB3 notebook (normal keyboard) and has the InsydeH2O Bios rev. F.06. 9/10/2010

Microsoft Windows7 Professional Version 6.1.7601 Service PAck 1 Build 7601

SMBIOS Version 2.6

• 4.  RE: 10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 15, 2011 10:41 AM

It appears to be a bug in PGP Desktop with the Insyde Bios on these machines. But we are investigating this issue and I will try to update the forum when we have an answer.

• 5.  RE: 10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 22, 2011 04:16 PM

Still no word back on this yet but if anybody else can reproduce this problem engineering would be happy to hear from you.

• 6.  RE: 10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 28, 2011 01:11 PM

The Compal notebook motherboard uses the Insyde BIOS which needs the most current BIOS version, F10 03/11/2011, in order to use the PGP encryption software.

My solution:

1. Decrypt the drive

2. Save the entire drive

3. Boot from a flash drive

4. Flash the BIOS

5. Unplug notebook and remove battery

6. Reinstall battery and power cord

7. Press power and enter BIOS Setup

8. Load setup defaults

9. Continue starting computer

10. Encrypt the disk drive.

• 7.  RE: 10.0.3 pass phrase will not accept the enter key

Posted Mar 28, 2011 05:40 PM

Last year I had a customer report a similar issue. In his case, he was able to use Ctrl + Enter and get PGP Bootguard to accept the entered passphrase. I did get the details of the affected machines from him. (The Ctrl + Enter work around met his needs and he wasn't interested in pursuing this particular error further.) I'm not sure if this is something that would work with your hardware, but it might be something to try.