Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

• 1.  10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Jul 13, 2007 01:22 PM
    Is there an issue with running any scan in safe mode in Windows Vista? All of the machines we have running Windows Vista (Home and Business) will not run any type of scan while in any safe mode. The error we receive is:

"Could not start scan. Scan engine returned error 0x20000003."

All of the systems scans run fine using a normal startup. We have tried uninstalling an reinstalling the client and still nothing changes. Any ideas as to the problem or a fix?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Jul 23, 2007 09:18 AM
    Here are the Program versions we are running if this will help:

Program: 10.2.0.276
    Scan Engine: 71.3.0.25

We have tried the safe mode scan on multiple Vista based systems and none have worked yet. All returned the same error message as listed in previous post.

• 3.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Jul 26, 2007 01:53 PM
    I am going to take a guess and say that due to the lack of response to this issue, Symantec has either decided not to help or are denying that they have a problem with Safe Mode scans in Vista. Either way even a nice "we are currently looking into your problem and will get back to you as soon as we find a resolution" message would be somewhat reassuring.

• 4.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Jul 30, 2007 03:46 PM
    I've done some digging and discovered this issue was logged by another customer in the US earlier this year... I'm trying to get some more information on the fix for you... I'll post here when I do.

hth

• 5.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 01, 2007 11:22 AM
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll be checking back to see if theres a fix posted. We have customers with Vista that we support that could have problems if a virus outbreak. :)

• 6.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 01, 2007 12:16 PM
    I've just had an update on this.

Sometime next week we should be releasing a patch that will include this fix.

At the moment thats all I know... but it is going to be fixed.

hth

• 7.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 02, 2007 08:53 AM
    Sounds great. If you could post back here when the patch is released and I will test it out on some machines. Let you know that it works in the field too. The help is very appreciated. :)

• 8.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 09, 2007 04:08 PM
    we just posted 10.2 MP1

for those of you with access to the Platinum website you can download it from there.

Its not yet on our public facing website but its only a matter of time now.

• 9.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 09, 2007 05:00 PM
    Thanks for the update.

Please post an update when it is available for the public and non-platnium users. Hopefully it is soon as we have our users coming back with loads of Vista machines and it would be a problem if they have a virus and the solution says "Boot into safe mode and perform a full system scan...." :)

• 10.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 10, 2007 09:08 AM
    It gives instructions for Gold customers to download the MP1 patch, however, the patch doesn't show up.

North American Gold customers
    Product information and new build downloads are available on the Symantec FileConnect Web site.

To download product information and new builds
    1. Go to the Symantec FileConnect Web site.
    2. Click your language to log on to the FileConnect system.
    3. In the Serial Number box, type the serial number that is printed on your certificate or upgrade insurance notice, and then click Login.
      If you do not know your serial number, contact Symantec Enterprise Customer Service.
    4. On the End User License Agreement Web page, click I Agree.
    5. Under Products, click the product version that you want to download.
      You will select the specific build that you want to download on a later screen.
    6. Select a download method, and then click Continue.
    7. Select the file for the build that you want to download, and then click Download.

Is the patch not available for Gold customers yet?

• 11.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 10, 2007 09:14 AM
    not yet...

as far as I can see its only Platinum at the minute.

things generally filter down from platinum within a few days of appearing on there... all updates will be done in US West Coast time though... so it may appear later today.

One option would be to call support - they should be able to put it up on the fileshare for you.

• 12.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 10, 2007 11:01 AM
    We called customer support and technical support. Customer support sent us the link to the fileshare, however, it is not located on the fileshare. We called Technical Support and they said they are unable to put it on the fileshare because it isn't available until Wednesday. The customer support didn't even know it was available or what we were actually talking about.

• 13.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 13, 2007 03:49 PM
    I just checked FileConnect and I can't find a patch, either.  I'm really surprised that this hasn't been addressed already.  Vista has been out for a while now and it's not like SAV CE is exactly rare on the desktop level... 

• 14.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 14, 2007 11:52 AM
    ok, sorry for the delay but you should now be able to get this from here:

let me know if you have any problems.

p.

• 15.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 14, 2007 02:52 PM
    Is this update pushed out automatically if you have the "Download product updates using LiveUpdate" checkbox selected in Symantec System Center and/or if clients are set to run LiveUpdate on a set schedule?

• 16.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 14, 2007 05:07 PM
    no, sorry but it wont be.

A long time ago, the decision was taken based on feedback from corporate customers NOT to post corporate SAV product updates to LiveUpdate as the majority of corporate customers said they preferred to have control over where, when and if such updates were installed.

• 17.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 14, 2007 05:30 PM
    Doesn't the "Download product updates using LiveUpdate" feature provide this functionality, though?  If not, how do the majority of client organizations deploy these updates?

Also, will the main 10.2 package include this update rolled into it?

Thanks for the quick responses- I appreciate it.

• 18.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Aug 14, 2007 05:38 PM
    No, sorry but it won't.  Product updates for corp edition are not posted to LiveUpdate.

Corporates deploy in several ways, via ClientRemote, logon scripts, Active Directory deployment or another client management tool (SMS, Tivoli, etc.)

Not sure what you mean by the "main 10.2 package" this update is an addition to the currently released 10.2 package.  If we release a maintenance release of 10.2 at a later date, then yes it will be included in that.

• 19.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Sep 12, 2007 08:50 PM
    Thanks for the information. I have Vista Home Preimun version on one of my user's home notebooks. I have tried both updates SAVCE_10.2_MP1_Vista_EN.zip, and SAVCE_SMB_10.2_MP1_Vista_EN.zip and they stop when trying to restart the services Error 1920, asking me to install with admin. I am logged in as admin.

• 20.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Sep 19, 2007 02:54 PM
    Hi, I have symantec build 10.2.0.276.  When trying to install both versions of the maintenance patch savce 10.2 mp1 vista en.zip and savce smb 10.2 mp1 vista en.zip, it gives me a message saying "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may updage a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."  I noticed on the patch release note for the 10.2 client referenced build 10.2.322.  Do I need to upgrade to this version of 10.2 and if so how?  Am I doing something wrong while trying to install the patch?  I have the same 0x20000003 error when trying to scan on vista and also issues starting the rtvscan service that lead me to this forum. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

• 21.  RE: 10.2 Corporate not running System Scan in Safe Mode using Vista

Posted Dec 03, 2007 09:04 PM
    I am having the same problem with my xp version of Symantec Corporate 10.1.4.x.   I have this because I am a student at a University and they gave all of the students a disc that had it on it.  Is there any patch for the xp version that will solve the error "Scan engine returned error 0x20000003." when i click on the scan button in window xp in "normal mode"?  If there is please let me know.  I use this on a computer at home so the updates are unmanaged and it is a client install.  I have also updated the program with the LiveUpdate but this will not help.  When i am on the main screen for symatnec there are some of the information on the right side is missing.  I have a yellow "!" mark on the symantec icon in the taskbar.

Message Edited by SSPLUTO44 on 12-03-2007 06:12 PM