Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Migration User

Migration UserJul 09, 2007 06:25 AM

• 1.  10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 08, 2007 10:55 PM
    Have Symantec Corporate 10.2 installed and client scans have been configured to run nightly using Symantec System Centre.  I excluded CAB and ZIP files, but the event log still fills on the client computers because the decomposing engine could not access the CAB and ZIP files.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 09, 2007 04:29 AM
    silly question, but just want to double check... have you excluded these files in the scheduled scan configuration, realtime configuration or both?

thanks

paul

• 3.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 09, 2007 06:25 AM
    Paul, both configurations.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 10, 2007 01:00 PM
    if your using 10.2 are you seeing this problem on Vista?

• 5.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 10, 2007 01:52 PM
    No, the clients are all XP workstations or Server 2003 member servers.

• 6.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 10, 2007 03:30 PM
    ok, interesting...

can you confirm that the exclusions are making it to the clients in question?  I've tested it tonight and its working fine for me with SAV 10.1.6 (10.2 is only for Windows Vista)

is it all the clients that are behaving in this way, or just some of them?

• 7.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 10, 2007 04:31 PM
    I have remote access to three member servers that have Windows Server 2003 installed *plus* the Symantec Corporate client.  I can confirm that exclusions are in place on both the clients and the Symantec AV server.

• 8.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 12, 2007 03:56 AM
    same issue with me. as I am running a web application and tries to exclude web application files and it didn't work.

and the moderator replied that this is an issue with IIS :-)

I have uninstalled SAV from server and now my life is in comfort.

cheeeeeers.

• 9.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 12, 2007 03:57 AM
    same issue with me. as I am running a web application and tries to exclude web application files and it didn't work.

and the moderator replied that this is an issue with IIS :-)

I have uninstalled SAV from server and now my life is in comfort.

cheeeeeers.

• 10.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 12, 2007 07:36 AM
    Hi Rob,

OK, so I've been doing some testing and can't (yet) reproduce your issue.  I have the following:

SAV Server (2003 server SP1)
    SAV Client (2003 server SP1)

The client is connected directly to the SAV server and is not in any client group.  A scheduled client scan has been configured at the Primary server level.  I have excluded ZIP files and CAB files from the scan.  I can see the scheduled scan appear on the client and the settings are correct in the registry.

The scan runs, I see no errors about the decomposer being unable to access these files (I copied the I386 folder from a WinXP CD to the local disk to test).  I then removed the exclusions and re-scheduled the scan and I still don't see any errors about CABs or ZIP files.

Can you confirm what specific CAB and ZIP files you are having problems with and also, is there any chance you can post a couple of examples of the error from the clients log file?

thanks

paul

• 11.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 12, 2007 08:26 AM

Here are a couple of the errors taken from a member server with the Symantec client.  Incidently, it is not Symantec 102, it is 10.1.0.394

Could not scan 1489 files inside D:\CAD\Assorted Files\Tester Backup Files\Easywire\Easywire 8.3\easywire_8.3.zip due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.

Could not scan 250 files inside D:\CAD\Assorted Files\Tester Backup Files\Easywire\easy-wire 7.0.1.zip due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.

Could not scan 1 files inside C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Agents\Win9x\KOR\Data.Cab due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.

Client Settings:

Configure, File System Auto=Protect, Options, Exclude selected files and folders, exclusions, extentions, CAB, ZIP, folders, WINDOWS

Server settings:

Symantec System Center, Symantec Antivirus1, Server1, Symantec Antivirus, Client Auto-protect options, Exclude selected files and folders, Exclusions, Extenstions, CAB ZIP

• 12.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 12, 2007 08:34 AM
    It looks like I was configuring my exclusions in the wrong place.  I found the advanced options for schedules scans, not auto-protect.  I should be good to go now.  Thanks for all the help.

• 13.  RE: 10.2 Scheduled scans, exclusions not working

Posted Jul 12, 2007 08:50 AM
    thats the first thing I though when I saw your steps too :-)

glad your sorted.... it is a bit of a pain that things have to be excluded twice (once from realtime, the second from scheduled) but it does give you greater control over the product.

p.