Video Screencast Help

12.1.2 managed client not installing

Created: 09 Jan 2013 | 9 comments

Hello,

 

I recently set up a new SEPM server for which I am going to test 12.1.2. I attempted to push the client package to my first machine (my machine running Windows 8). I am able to successfully push the package to the client as the management ui says package deployment was successful but the installation on my machine never actually happens. I see nothing in my machine logs to indicate the installation was even attempted. This machine does not or never did have an older version of SEP installed. So, according to the SEPM server communication between client and server is fine and the package was successfully delivered. Why would the client no install on my machine? 

 

Thanks!

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Navigate to %temp% and look for the SEP_INST.log and post the contents here.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

spasq's picture

The is no SEP_INST.log in my temp directory. As i mentioned above the management server says the package deployment was successful but I see no signs on my client machine that the install was even attempted.

.Brian's picture

Can you check Windows event logs to see if there is anything there?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

spasq's picture

I stated above that there is nothing in event logs that indicates the install was attempted.

.Brian's picture

Did you reboot? Did you check the client to see if the icon shows/doesn't show? What happens if you search for the client name in SEPM?

Doesn't really make sense why it would show in SEPM as successful but there is nothing.

What happens if you export the package and try to install manually on the Win8 box?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

spasq's picture

I haven't rebooted no, but I'm not sure why that would help. There is nothing on my machine to indicate the SEP exists. THe SEPM console also does not show my machine. I will reboot later to see if that makes a difference but it does not seem likely. I will try the exported package but we normally push from the management server so I need to get that working. I have only tried from my machine so far so it is possible this is a Windows 8 issue. I'll see what happens with a Windows 7 client.

.Brian's picture

A reboot is required to complete the install, however, the icon would still show up even if no reboot is done. I'm just trying some basic troubleshooting steps. My next question was to see if this was the only client affected or have you been able to push to others...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

.Brian's picture

Also, check similar thread here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/una...

And this KB article:

The Symantec Endpoint Protection client will not deploy through the network to a Windows Vista, 7, or Server 2008 system

Article:TECH165133  |  Created: 2011-07-21  |  Updated: 2012-08-07  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165133
 

I realise these are geared more toward Win7 but still something to quickly check.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

spasq's picture

So the remote push and installation worked on a Windows 7 machine. From the link you supplied above I saw the my Remote Registry service was set to disabled. I set it to Auto and started it. I will try the push install again on my Windows 8 machine.