Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 27, 2015 05:33 AM

Hi.

We have setup a new SEPM 12.1.5 for a customer because the running SEP 11 installation went EOL.

First problem was that no updates worked at all cause SEPM always moans it only has 512 MB HD space left. We could fix this problem by manually change permission on root of HD as stated in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH225967.

So now SEPM update its content properly but the clients do not. None of the clients (neither X86 nor x64) update its virus defs until the client is rebooted. I checked it for a few days now and a client which is not rebooted will not update its virus definitions.

Any ideas?

We are running 12.1.2 and 12.1.3 on a number of customers without any problems so what's wrong with this 12.1.5?

Regards.

harsi.

• 2.  RE: 12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 27, 2015 05:56 AM

Did you upgrade your clients as well and were they rebooted after upgrade?

Please post the sylink.log from the client which si not updatign the defs from SEPM

• 3.  RE: 12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 27, 2015 06:25 AM

Hi Rafeeq.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes clients were updated also to 12.1.5.

It seems that theres is something wrong with the location awareness setup.

Can you give me a hint how to verify what location a client is assigned to?

In the past we found that in client activity log / event source SMC on SEPM but here we did not find any location related log entries.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: 12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 27, 2015 06:44 AM

Sylink.log will give you all those info, enable loggin on one client and post it here, 

I belive its not changing the location without a reboot

In the General Settings dialog box, on the General Settings tab, under Location Settings, there is a check Remember the last location.( what is it to set to)

does it work if you uncheck that restart smc service?

• 5.  RE: 12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 27, 2015 07:30 AM

Remeber last location is checked.

Just saw that we had a typo in one of the location rules. There is a good chance that this is causing the issues we see. Will check.

There must me some place to find out easily what location a client is currently assigened to!

Any idea?

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: 12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 27, 2015 07:54 AM

OK seems that the typo in the rules caused the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

• 7.  RE: 12.1.5 Virus Def not updating

Posted Jan 28, 2015 02:40 PM

There must me some place to find out easily what location a client is currently assigened to!

Client GUI > Help > Troubleshooting > Management > Location

As far as I know, there is no report on this in the SEPM. That's understandable because the clients are able to change their location in every moment (the condition will be checked every 4 seconds by default).