Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Created: 02 Dec 2012 • Updated: 30 Jan 2013 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

For frequency based schedules:

Scenario: A policy has a FULL weekly backup and a daily INCR (incremental) backup.

The FULL and INCR backup schedule has an open window from 10pm to 2am.

If the FULL backup fails to start and falls outside of the open backup window, the backup will fail with a Status Code 196.

If that failed FULL job is manually restarted from the activity monitor, and completes successfully before the next scheduled window, NetBackup will run another FULL backup instead of the next schedule in the policy. In this scenario, the INCR backup is the next scheduled but did not run because the scheduler (NBPEM - NetBackup Policy Execution Manager) did not recalculate the schedule after the FULL backup successfully completed.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Please can anybody explain me this?

Why backup will run again if i start from Activity monitoring?

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Are you experiencing a real issue or is this a theoretical question?
Please post deails of your real-life issue. We will gladly assist.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

sazz.'s picture

I guess you already know the reason and solution. When you rerun something in the activity monitor it actually doesn't go to NBPEM which actually creates and update the schedule list before executing. Now when you re ran it from the activity monitor the NBPEM doesn't aware that the last full is done, it still needs to be executed. NBPEM creates Policy/Client tasks and determines when jobs are due to run,In this case it runs the full instead of incremental as it fails to update the policy/client tasks.

Workaround and Etrack is already there and you should apply the Etrack for the same.

Though you should tell us more about your issue with the NBU version and OS

Edit* : Oops,too slowsurprise

Andy Welburn's picture

I guess you already know the reason and solution.

You would certainly hope so wouldn't you! wink

***EDIT***

M's turn to be on the ball this morning!

Marianne's picture

sazz is 100% correct.

The TechNote that you have quoted (TECH161395) contains the solution:

The formal resolution to this issue (Etrack 2348002) is included in the following releases:

• NetBackup 7.1 Maintenance Release 4 (7.1.0.4)
  • NetBackup 7.5

If you are experiencing this issue, please upgrade to one of the versions mentioned in the TechNote.

This issue is not normal NBU behaviour. Please see this article for hints and tips on Frequency Based scheduling:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
ramLUKE's picture

So if i upgrade it ,then no matter whether i run it from policy or activity monitoring?

sazz.'s picture

Yes after putting the fix as per above TN.

ramLUKE's picture

I have nbu 7.1.0.2 as of now.When my full backup fail with any error and i run it from activity monitor,it will not update in nbpem and will be run after again or is it the case for 196 only?

Marianne's picture

Again - If you have a REAL issue, please give us details. 

We will be happy to assist. 

We cannot comment on WHAT IF scenarios.

I believe you are familiar with this post?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/avoid-196

Handy NBU Links