Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  19913 after 1533

Posted May 30, 2007 09:23 AM
    I'm having a huge problem, as now GSS 2.0.1 isn't functional at all since upgrading from 1.1 to 2.0 and the subsequent LiveUpdate to 11.0.1.1533.

I have workstations of different configurations with different network cards:
    AMD Opterons with Broadcom NetXtreme 5705 Gb NIC (integrated)
    Intel Pentium P4 2.66 with Intel Pro/100 VE NIC (integrated)
    Intel Pentium P4 2.0 with Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter (add-in)

All of my workstations fail with 19913 error (Unable to start TCP/IP Can't find DHCP Server Possible network
    setup problem) since the upgrade, and did not have this issue prior. In 1.1 there was no issue.

Personally I suspect ngctdos.exe, as the Network Boot Package disk (with PC-DOS and appropriate NIC driver) starts Ghost fine on all the workstations, and I am able to clone by using Ghostcast manually. The issue only arises when executing a task and the client starts Ghost accordingly.

I have tried -fni (as suggested in https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=370), -nousb, -jaddr for the server. I d/l an updated E100B DOS driver from Intel dated 12/14/05, and the same error occured. The results are the same whether the clients use a virtual partition or a CBP (tested).

http://entkb.symantec.com/security/output/n2000093014160525.html suggest hard coding the IP address of the server, which already has been set prior to ever installing Ghost. I also attempted the other suggestions as noted, such as MS-DOS and disabling BIOS PnP settings etc, disabling booting from NICs etc.

Currently all clients are on the same subnet, in fact are even hooked up to the same switch as the Ghostcast server. The error also occured not on the same switch, but still the same subnet (classroom vs. my office).

I assume ngctdos.exe is the DOS Ghost client. What does this do that could be causing this error? Why does Ghost.exe start ok when executed in DOS? What are the causes for error 19913 from a program standpoint? What is Ghost trying to do when it's attempting to "initializing packet driver and IP address", and why does this seem to be the point of failure? Why is the Ghost client seeking DHCP when the workstation already has an IP (through DHCP) and sends and is acknowledged by the server?

• 2.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 30, 2007 01:01 PM
    I am experiencing the same issues in my organization. We were assured by a Symantec tech that running LiveUpdate to update to the latest patches for GSS 2 would solve these issues, but that has not been our experience. One of our eight locations is able to successfully image, but none of the other locations that has upgraded to GSS 2 from GSS 1.1 is able to image from Ghost Console.

Like the OP, we can use Ghost Console to perform other tasks, like configuration, file transfer and AI package deployment. However, any clone or image creation tasks fail when the DOS Ghost client loads. The Ghost boot partition is able to obtain an IP address via DHCP, but as soon as the DOS Ghost client loads, it somehow loses its IP address and cannot communicate with the DHCP server.

We have pretty much determined that it is not a problem inherent in the network, as downgrading back to GSS 1.1 or using any feature of GSS 2 except for cloning from Ghost Console works just fine. The problem has to be with GSS 2, and I suspect the OP is correct in his assessment of the problem.

• 3.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 30, 2007 02:43 PM
    In the thread for this specific issue (error 19913) They state there is a hotfix for this. 

• 4.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 30, 2007 03:03 PM
    I see from this thread that there is a patch available through tech support. Is it going to be made widely available, perhaps through LiveUpdate or through online download? It seems ridiculous that I have to call tech support to get a patch that makes GSS 2 finally function correctly.

• 5.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 30, 2007 04:20 PM
    Thanks for your replies Mark and David.

Mark I'd run across that thread as well, but wasn't able to find it again to reference. I guess I assumed since it was from ~2/07 that any updates would be live at this point... but maybe not. It is a good thread, and does answer some questions. Incidentally I also tried things like not loading mouse.com and even (for really no particular reason than just to try) loading himem.sys.

I just started implementing this software as a management solution, so in the course of about 2 weeks now I've upgraded from 1.1 to 2.0 (have had 2.0 for about a week), and have had to learn the entire GSS system (plus all my other duties during this time). So many questions simply arise that it may be something I'm doing or not doing, or other factors of which I have no control over. For example I don't manage any network infrastructure.

I guess I'm off to tech support... should be interesting! 

Message Edited by despairsquid on 05-30-200701:20 PM

• 6.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 31, 2007 03:27 AM
    Hi,

19913 error discussed in the other post ( https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=2303) was fixed after 2.01. This issue only comes if
    1. Domain name is 8 characters (like abcd.com)
    2. Domain name is contained in the DHCP offer packet
    (there could be other situations, but this is the known situation)

This affects all the machines in above environment, when Ghost.exe is executed using a console task.

Since this fix is at the client, Console will upgrade the clients once the patch is applied. If we create a live update patch just for this, all the users will have to go through that process regardless they are affected or not. So we thought it is better to release it only to the affected users. The fix will be certainly included in next liveupdate.

There should not be any problem obtaining this from tech support, please let us know if you are unable to obtain it for what ever the reason, will try to help.

Krish

• 7.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 31, 2007 08:15 AM
    Thanks Krish for your response.

Our domain is 8 letters including the root, as in abcd.edu (in my private profile if you can view it), so if that's a cause than this could very well be the issue at least for me. I don't know what's included with DHCP offer packets, but probably can find out. As in the other thread I too am in a seperate dept. outside of IT, and don't have any control over such things (but am a different person!).  

I put in a call to tech support yesterday, and have a case #. He ran me through quite a few things to try and nothing fixed the problem (basically mirroring what I've tried myself), so he elevated it to the developers (you?). I tried to explain to him there was a patch referenced in that thread that was only available through tech support, but he didn't seem to understand or want to investigate that.

Krish, I sent you my case # along with some personal info. If you can do anything to help I'd appreciate it, if not thanks all the same.

Message Edited by despairsquid on 05-31-200705:22 AM

• 8.  RE: 19913 after 1533

Posted May 31, 2007 09:54 AM
    Krish - I have verified our DHCP offer packet does contain "DNS Suffix, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DHCP Server address, DNS server addresses, Primary WINS Server and Secondary WINS Server."