Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

2 x BE 2010 servers, how many agents are needed?

Created: 14 Aug 2013 • Updated: 14 Aug 2013 | 8 comments

I have a BE 2010 server and have licensed 15 remote windows agents along with one SQL agent and the desktop and laptop option, due to backup demands i've had to provision another physical BE 2010 server which has a seperate license with HP LTO-6 drive. I've migrated the database and the agent license keys and am now running the same jobs on the new server. Can i still run the backup jobs from the old server if needed? i.e can the agents be licensed on 2 servers at the same time or do i need to buy additional agents to backup to 2 BE 2010 servers?

I can't find any symantec documentation on this but i'm assuming this is a fairly straight forward yes or no situation.

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello there,

Licensing as per Media server.

So if you are backing up the application (SQL) from 2 different Media server then you will require 2 Agent and Databse licenses... (1 for each Media server).

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

gommog's picture

So in this case i will need to buy an additional 15 windows remote agents + SQl agent + desktop and laptop option? Is there any documentation on this anywhere?

Sush...'s picture

You will have to buy the number as equal to number of SQL servers that you are backing up.

So if there are only 5 SQL servers then only 5 Agent and Database License are required.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

pkh's picture

You said that you have migrated the licences from your old media server to the new media.  If you are not going to use the old media server anymore, then you do not need any more licences.  If you want to use your old media server, then you need to buy a core BE licence for the old media server itself.

As for remote agents, you don't have to buy an entire set of agent licences for your old media server if you are not going to back up all the remote from each media server.  As previously advised, the licences are per media server.  You have 15 remote servers. Let's say,  you are going to backup remote servers 1 - 7 using Media Server 1 and remote servers 8 - 15 from Media Server 2.  You then need to put 7 remote agent licences in Media Server 1 and 8 remote agent licences in Media Server 2.  However, this means that you CANNOT back up remote servers 1 - 7 using Media Server 2 and remote servers 8 - 15 from Media Server 1.  If you want the flexibility to backup all your remote servers from any media server, then you need to have 15 remote agent licences for each media server.  The same thing applies to your SQL agent licence and your DLO licences.

See the licencing guide here

2010 Licensing Guide

You should also confirm all licencing matters with the Symantec Licencing department which is the final authority on all licencing matters.

Jaydeep S's picture
I don't agree with pkh on this. You don't need to duplicate the Licensing (in terms of numbers). All you need in your situation is 

2 Media Server Licences for 2 Backup Exec Media Servers

+

number of licences for the remote agents = the servers that you are backing up (which I am assuming you already 15 RAWS + SQL).

This is applicable only and only in a situation where your BE server and Remote servers are the same and don't change. Example you have servers named A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J which are being backed up using Media Server 1. You can use another Media Server in the same network with the same licensing to backup those servers. You need additional licensing if you are now wanting to backup a Server named K or something else.

On a Note - I have verrified this information with Presales, licensing, Marketing.

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

No You dont (Edit) need to buy additioanl licenses for remote agent, sql agent or DLO as they have not changed

If you want to use 2 media servers, you need to 2 Media server BE 2010 license

Technical Support

Symantec

gommog's picture

Hi Kunal,

I'm pretty sure this isn't correct, see answer above. I have licensed 2 media servers but i want both to be able to back up 15 windows machines so from the sound of things i'll need 30 remote agents, 15 for each machines.

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

If you buy 1 remote agent license it protects the remote server.

if you buy 2 remote agents for that 1 server you have actually duplicated your license

In the remote agent agent utility there is a publishing tab, here you can add more than 1 backup exec server which the agent to backup up to

You can use the same remote agent key on both the media servers however media server will have their own core licenses.

So if you want to backup 15 servers and you have 3 media servers you dont need 45 remote agent keys

What you need is 3 Media server license and 15 remote agnent license

Please contact symantec licensing and confirm this.

Technical Support

Symantec