Video Screencast Help

2003 Public Folder archived items count

Created: 04 Mar 2014 | 6 comments

Hi all,

As part of a fact finding mission and with the prospect of just general requests from managers I need to find a way of doing a live count of archived messages in a public folder directory. We currently have Exchange 2003 for the Public Folders so Powershell's Get-PublicFolderStatistics cmdlet won't work.

Does anyone know of a way of listing or doing a count of messages within a Public Folder based on their message type (ipm.note.enterprisevault.shortcut) that will work with Exchange 2003 ?

I'm willing to try other methods but was thinking Powershell might be the easiest.

Any help would be great.

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rob.Wilcox's picture

You could write a bit of redemption code which would cycle through all the folders and do the count.

Kevin O'Connor's picture

Hi Rob,

Sorry but you've lost me :)

What do you mean redemption code ?

Pradeep_Papnai's picture

1. From EV side, If you want to know count and size of archive content from public folder archives then run following SQL query against public folder vault store database.

select aa.ArchiveName,  ap.ArchivePointId ArchiveID, ap.ArchivedItems Total_count, ap.ArchivedItemsSize Total_Size

from ArchivePoint ap

Inner join EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Root rt on rt.VaultEntryId = ap.ArchivePointId

inner join EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Archive aa on aa.RootIdentity = rt.RootIdentity

where rt.Type = 33

2. From outlook, you can add message class as a column and sort items as per message class (refer screenshot).

3. Not sure about script/query/tool which can count PF items based upon message class, just check following link of public folder administration (I have not tried in test environment).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287110

PF1.jpg
Kevin O'Connor's picture

Hi Pradeep,

We need to count the archive items (shortcuts) actually in the Public folder rather than what’s in the Archive as there could be differences.

Unfortunately the folder structure is a bit of a mess, there are so many folders and sub folders that it would be impractical to sort each by message type/Icon and build up a final count.

I’ll try the utility and see what it can output for us as well and let you know.

Kevin O'Connor's picture

Hi Rob/Pradeep,

Unfortunately not but the Exchange Team are still looking at it when they get a chance.

An upgrade from 8.0.4 to 10.0.4 took priority for myself recently so I've had to put this on the back burner for the moment.

It looks like the Exchange team may be trying to move off 2003 finally as well so I might be better off trying to tackle this once Public Folders are on 2007 and we have EV 11 installed (just waiting for the first SP and some user feedback before we make that jump).

If I get any more joy from the exchange team though I'll update the post.