Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  2003 Server Hangs On Reboot/Shutdown after SEPM client install

Posted May 20, 2013 02:18 PM

I installed the latest version of the SEPM basic client (12.1.2100.2093) on my 2003 R2 server, which hosts our 2007 Exchange environmenet. SInce then, the server hangs on reboot/shutdown with a grey screen and mouse pointer. I can ping the machine, but cannot manage the machine at all. I have to force the server to shut down. I left it all night like this to see if it would resolve, but it just stays on the grey screen. 

I removed SEPM client and the server now functions properly again.

There are no event logs pertaining to the issue that I can identify.

I cannot afford to keep reinsatlling this software and rebooting as this is a critical server in our enviornment. I am hoping to find some recommendations which I can try that will allow me minimal down time with this server.

• 2.  RE: 2003 Server Hangs On Reboot/Shutdown after SEPM client install

Posted May 20, 2013 02:24 PM

What components do you have installed for the SEP client?

You may need to add some exceptions. See these:

Preventing Symantec Endpoint Protection from scanning the Microsoft Exchange 2007 directory structure

Article:TECH102249  |  Created: 2007-01-26  |  Updated: 2013-01-04  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102249

About the automatic exclusion of files and folders for Microsoft Exchange server and Symantec products

Article:TECH102400  |  Created: 2007-01-02  |  Updated: 2013-01-04  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102400

• 3.  RE: 2003 Server Hangs On Reboot/Shutdown after SEPM client install

Posted May 20, 2013 02:34 PM

Just the Virus and Spyware Protection module.

As I understand from these articles, SEP should recognize this as an Exchange server and make the exclusions automatically. Everything else seems to work fine on this machine, including Exchange. The hang happens upon reboot.

I guess it could have something to do with Exchange, but I should also note that I always run a manual script to stop all Exchange services prior to reboot. So, there are not Exchange services running when I initiate the reboot, yet the server still hangs with SEP installed.

• 4.  RE: 2003 Server Hangs On Reboot/Shutdown after SEPM client install

Posted May 20, 2013 02:41 PM

Do you have the option to go back to 12.1 RU2? Looks like you're on 12.1 RU2 MP1 which is the latest version. There have been a few quirks with this latest release, one in particular which affects XP/2003 clients and the SEP firewall. Not that this should affect you though.

Just curious to see if this may be something new here but you would need to contact support so they can troubleshoot further.

• 5.  RE: 2003 Server Hangs On Reboot/Shutdown after SEPM client install

Posted May 20, 2013 03:13 PM

I was an RU2 when I first noticed the issue, and at that time I did have the firewall included with that package. I upgraded to MP1, just using the Virus/Spyware module, and the issue remained. I guess I will open a support case.