Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials after iisreset

Posted Jan 11, 2012 01:44 PM

Altiris Notification server 7.1

After making some changes to the NS I reset the iis with the command iisreset, all stopped and restarted again but I was unable to login to the server with the DNS name.

I was prompted to put in my credentials and after 3 attempts I would get the error: 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials

So after speaking with Symantec support I finally got a link from my sales rep of all people.

http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archive/2009/09/15/windows-server-2008-r2-dns-issues.aspx

I had my admin turn off eDNS and after restarting the entire NS server I was back online (resetting iis did not fix it).

I have had this issue twice now after iisreset so I am sure this would be a fix for others out there.

Since this fix I have iisreset twice with no issues.

• 2.  RE: 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials after iisreset

Posted Jan 12, 2012 06:51 AM

Hi Mark, thank you for sharing this info.

I have the same issue here, but I cannnot control the DNS environment as this is a corporate customer.

What I've found is that changing the identity in the application pool in the IIS from the default "ApplicationPoolIdentity" to a domain account "DOMAIN\account" solves the problem.

That also made me think about DNS or validation issues in the AD, because some servers work fine and some others do not.

I'll try to find out more details about the DNS servers and I'll post my findings here, as I'm also working with support on this and we could not find a solution for this

Thanks

Santi

• 3.  RE: 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials after iisreset

Posted Jan 16, 2012 07:04 AM

Same issue!

I discoverd on the remote client's internet explorer you uncheck enable integrated windows authentication*

Tools- Internet Options - Advanced - Security - enable integrated windows authentication*

You can log in again..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santi untill you post more information I changed my Default App pool accounts to use a service account as well.

It's working like a charm.

-Rene