Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client Input....

Posted Feb 16, 2011 07:25 AM

Hi All;

I would like to share an issue that I've find out today with Brightmail 9.0.2 with ASA 5510. Brightmail runs as SMTP GW server in DMZ that receives and sends mails. Last week I've updated the firmware of ASA 5510 and noticed that mails started to remain in SMTP queue. When I've disable and enable the MTA mails started to flow but afterwords they start to remain again with "4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client Input" error. 

I've checked the Brightmail KB and http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH90653explained this issue. But when I've sent mail via telnet from Brightmail console to Exchange, mail sent immediately without any error !!!!. What I've noticed that ASA has ESMTP inspection in service rules ( CONFIGURATION > FIREWALL > SERVICE POLICY RULES ) that drops packets from Brightmail !!!!!!. I've removed the inspection in ESMTP and everything works perfect !!!!! 

So if you have any issue that gives "4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client Input...." please check your Firewall or IPS inspection rules.....

• 2.  RE: 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client Input....

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 16, 2011 10:08 AM
    Good to hear that you resolved the issue. Any kind of smtp inspections or filtering can cause strange issues like this. We typically recommend disabling those features if you are having issues.