Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

5220 Replication Throughput

Created: 03 May 2013 • Updated: 03 May 2013 | 3 comments
SYMAJ's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a site where we have 2 x 5220 (configured as Media Servers to a Regular Master Server) and we are using AIR to replicate between the two environments (each having 1 x Master and 1 x 5220 Media).

Replication was working fine until a firewall change and 'remote' equipment was actually moved offsite at the end of a 200Mb link.  I think the issue is related to these changes but one question.

I have no settings restricting (throttling) the Optimised Replication, but it appears that each replication job is only running at 27Mb/Sec.  If we run 2 jobs then we see 54Mb/sec etc. 

As I say, this was all fine when working locally and the appliances were connected via a 1Gb link, it is only since the move and network changes (no changes to NBU).

The 200Mb link is nowhere near being fully utilised so we have plenty of headroom, and as above if we run multiple replication jobs we see the throughput of each being 27Mb (ran 4 together and we see 108Mb being used).

Any ideas where this is being restricted ?

AJ

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

Unless it is a restriction on your switch or firewall (limit per connection i assume?) then there are only two places that replication can be throtled on Appliances

If you go to the CLISH (command menu interface of the appliance) and go to Settings - Deduplication Show

it will show all of your setting. The OPTDUP_LIMIT setting shows if it is restricted - 0 means unrestricted

This value comes from OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH setting in the /usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins/pd.conf file.

Note that BANDWIDTH_LIMIT is different and relates to backup and restore operations and not duplications

Next you need to go into its O/S (Support - Maintenance - P@Ssw0rd - elevate)

cd to /disk/etc/puredisk/

then - more agent.cfg

Scroll down and find BandwidthLimit

If it has a value of 0 it is unrestricted

Any changes made need a service re-start (or preferably a re-boot) to take effect

You could also check the Master Servers bandwidth settings in its host properties

Hope this helps - if all are 0 then it is your switch / network / firewall

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

SOLUTION
SYMAJ's picture

Thanks Mark.

The items you note have already been checked on the appliances - and all are good.  Over to the Network boys I guess !!

Thanks,

AJ.

Mark_Solutions's picture

It did sound that way - and yet i am told throttling on the network is not easy! they must be keen!

Thanks for the feedback

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.