Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  554 5.4.4 [internal] domain lookup failed

Posted Mar 09, 2010 11:35 AM
    I am unable to email to some domains.

I receive this error in the delivery report.  "554 5.4.4 [internal] Domain Lookup Failed"

I have found the recipeint email is hosted on google apps.

I am able to run the utilities and do an NSlookup for the MX record for the domain form the BrightMail device

I am also able to telnet to the server from my pc.

Have to use the <> around the email addresses when rcpt to and mail from

• 2.  RE: 554 5.4.4 [internal] domain lookup failed

Posted Mar 09, 2010 01:44 PM
    It seems like SBG could not resolve the recipient domain due to DNS issues when it was attempting to deliver that mail.

Is all mail to that specific recipient domain failing?

Regards,

Adnan

• 3.  RE: 554 5.4.4 [internal] domain lookup failed

Posted Mar 09, 2010 08:35 PM
    Please check out the following KB article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2010012813032254

Regards,

Adnan

• 4.  RE: 554 5.4.4 [internal] domain lookup failed

Posted Mar 10, 2010 04:23 PM
    Thanks AdnanH.

I can do a lookup form the utilities so I assumed that it can resolve the records.  Or am I incorrect.

I have the Host config using an internal DNS server.  Should I change it to use external?

• 5.  RE: 554 5.4.4 [internal] domain lookup failed

Posted Mar 10, 2010 05:58 PM
    Are you able to send the mail to that domain now?  If yes, then as I said, the DNS lookup failure occurred at the time SBG was trying to deliver that mail.  This means that the DNS issue was temporary and when you tested the DNS at a later time it was fine.  So I think you should use DNS server that you think is more resilient and not prone to load and other network issues.  May be add more than one DNS servers; currently internal one as the primary and some external one as the secondary.

Regards,

Adnan

• 6.  RE: 554 5.4.4 [internal] domain lookup failed

Posted Mar 12, 2010 09:33 AM
    No I am still receiveing the error.

I have an 8360 and when I select administration button, config under the hosts section, select my only host, and then the DNs/ime tab, I have use internal DNS.

I have changed this to use my ISPs DNS and it shows that it was deleivered.

How do I change the internal DNS settings?

Also when I use the utilities and test with nslookup, why does it succeed everytime?