Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  5.5.4 You are not allowed to connect - new install

Posted Nov 18, 2009 04:07 AM
    Hello,

I just have installed a new appliance (8.0.3-11) and set up basic settings.
    I selected that the the appliance should filter both incoming and outgoing mails,  therefore
    I had to choose two interfaces, one for incoming and the other - virtual - for outgoing mails.

I configured that incoming mails should be accested from any ip addresses and outgoing mails
    only from a specific address.

It turns out, that when I try to telnet into the allpiance using the ip address of the
    interface configured for incoming connections, I get the 5.5.4 you are not allowed to connect,
    before I could enter any address information. So the appliance refuses smtp connection
    to this interface.

If I try to connect to this address from the server - which ip address is set up on the appliance
    to accept outgoing mail connections from - then the connection is succesful.

Eventually it seems that either me or the appliance do not understand what is incoming
    mail connection or what is outgoing. Am I mistaken, if I suppose that checking the "accept inbound mail connection
    from all ip addresses" should mean to accept any connection through this interface ??

• 2.  RE: 5.5.4 You are not allowed to connect - new install

Posted Nov 18, 2009 05:09 AM
    Hi,

can you tell me the IP address you are telnetting FROM?

thanks,

Federico

• 3.  RE: 5.5.4 You are not allowed to connect - new install

Posted Nov 18, 2009 05:34 AM
    Hi,

yes, of course: 84.1.59.139. Why is this important ?

Thanks,
    Laszlo

• 4.  RE: 5.5.4 You are not allowed to connect - new install

Posted Nov 18, 2009 05:51 AM
    Hi,

that IP address has a bad reputation if you check here:
    www.symantec.com/business/security_response/landing/spam/index.jsp

Enter the "from" IP address on the "Sender IP lookup" window and see the result. You'll see it is listed under a 3rd party Spam List (PBL) that SBG uses and that's the reason why you are not allowed to connect. It also means that SBG is working properly in that regards so that's good. You can expect to stop most of the spam via reputation.
    If you click PBL on the result you got (is also a link) you will see more information about that list.
    Hope this helps.

Regards,

Federico