File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  64BIT PGP desktop error on a dell e6520 laptop

Posted Nov 02, 2011 05:22 AM

Hi,

i'm trying to install on a dell e6520 laptop with windows 7 64 bit enterprise pgp desktop 10.2

and i always get an error that tells me that i'm trying to install a 32 bit version on a 64 bit windows version.

i enterd to my universal server from the laptop and downloaded the 64 version again and the installation keeps

telling me that i'm trying to install the wrong version

can anyone help me?

• 2.  RE: 64BIT PGP desktop error on a dell e6520 laptop

Posted Nov 02, 2011 09:25 AM

Hi,

I haven´t found any previous report of your Dell laptop model having issues with PGP.

This is from 10.2 release notes :

System Requirements
    PGP Desktop can be installed on systems running the following versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems:
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit (Service Pack 2 or 3), Windows XP Professional 64-bit (Service Pack 2),
    Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2 or 3), Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 SP2, Windows
    Vista (all 32- and 64-bit editions, including Service Pack 2), Windows 7 (all 32- and 64-bit editions, including
    Service Pack 1), Windows Server 2003 (Service Pack 1 and 2).
    The above operating systems are supported only when all of the latest hot fixes and security patches from Microsoft
    have been applied.
    Note: PGP Whole Disk Encryption (PGP WDE) is not compatible with other third-party software that could
    bypass the PGP WDE protection on the Master Boot Record (MBR) and write to or modify the MBR. This
    includes such off-line defragmentation tools that bypass the PGP WDE file system protection in the OS or
    system restore tools that replace the MBR.

Also these articles may help:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149733&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1320239879752

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149733&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1320239879752

Read and try,

Keep us updated.