Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

• 1.  64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 29, 2010 10:28 AM
    The package we built we chose for Non Single Sign On, but after installing it we do not get a prompt for registration, it automatically registered the machine's local account, and does not even go to the symantec login screen, it hits the symantec screen for a second and then just boots to windows.

The Machine is fully encrypted and shows it has registered users, but it does not show for Authenticheck Questions and Registration, we set the policies up just like we did for 7.0.3, we just upgraded to 7.0.5, the 32 Bit Installer package seems to work fine though.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 29, 2010 11:18 AM
    Windows 7 pre-boot isn't available yet, hence you have no pre-boot authentication (therefore no need for registered users).

Officially versions prior to 7.0.5 didn't work AT ALL with Windows 7, though I was able to run it and also got the pre-boot auth. without any problems, hence I was confused when i upgraded to 7.0.5 and it all vanished...

• 3.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 29, 2010 11:30 AM
    So there is no preboot Authentication for Windows 7 64 bit?   it's seemed to work for Windows 7 32 Bit machines though?

so officially preboot for Win7 in general of just x64 bit doesn't work?

• 4.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 29, 2010 11:42 AM

I think that's the case yes, neither 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7. Were the 32-bit machines you tested upgraded from .3 or .4 ?

The admin doc. implies that is the case but isn't very clear:

Support for Microsoft Windows 7

The SEE Full Disk endpoint client now supports both the 32-bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7. User

authentication for SEE Full Disk on a Windows 7 client is enabled through the Windows authentication process.

The following editions of Windows 7 are supported:

Professional,

Ultimate, and

Enterprise.

• 5.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 29, 2010 11:58 AM
    I've just found this too (32-bit Windows 7 - fresh install of the SEE 7.0.5 FD client).
    Confused me because i'd installed the same 32-bit client on my XP machine, so i knew it wasn't an option i'd mis-configured in the package itself.

The question is, does anyone know if this is a feature that will be appearing in later versions (7.0.6?) and an approx ETA on this?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 29, 2010 12:09 PM
    Yes I did the same! There is a post on the forum somewhere from me having exactly the same problem :-)

I'd hazard a guess at 7.0.6 supporting Windows 7 fully but you'd need to contact Symantec to get an official answer. I'll ask next time I speak to them...

David
    P.S if you find answers useful it's handy to mark them as solutions etc. so that other people can see that there is an answer (and we get points ;-) )

• 7.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 30, 2010 05:00 AM
    I thought I had read somewhere that it was because Windows 7 was missing something and thats why it wasn't available.  Could just be Symantec speak of course, but if it is true, then it is never going to work on Windows 7. 

I'll see if I can find where it was and post a link or the text.

• 8.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 30, 2010 05:03 AM
    Yes something to do with Microsoft changing the boot mechanism I think...

• 9.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 30, 2010 11:08 AM
    This is very weird, cuz Win7 32 Bit worked fine with SEE and Preboot Login screen, though Win7 wasn't technically supported with 7.0.3

Though now on 7.0.5 it does not support preboot

• 10.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Mar 30, 2010 11:14 AM
    I found the same, though when I said about 7.0.3 working with Windows 7 they were very surprised and said it shouldn't be! So if they were going on the fact that nothing worked on Win 7 (forgetting that a few of us were ok with it) I guess they took out the part that wasn't compatible so that the main encryption part could be used.

• 11.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 31, 2010 06:34 AM

Logged a call with Symantec about it and they have now placed a knowledgebase article online about it;

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010033015370248

Cause:
    While 7.05 is generally compatible with Windows 7, the SSO has been not been made avilable for this platform at this time. Please refer to page 1 of the SEE 7.05 Release Notes: "User authentication for SEE Full Disk on a Windows 7 client is enabled through the Windows authentication process."

Solution:
    The SSO option will be made fully available in build 7.06 of SEE which is due out later this year.

• 12.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted May 20, 2010 08:57 AM

Hi,

can help to arrange beta testing for 7.0.6?

/Thomas

• 13.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted May 20, 2010 09:50 AM
    I haven't seen a public beta of SEE before. I guess just keep an eye out for announcements on the website and forums. Also remember that to go from 706 beta to 706 final you would have to decrypt, uninstall, install, encrypt (e.g. no upgrade path) so it might not help much.

• 14.  RE: 64x Bit Installer Package for 7.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium System

Posted Jul 12, 2010 04:39 AM
    I'm informed that 7.0.6 is now available on FileConnect