7.0.1 (+EEB ET2105102) / vSphere 4.1 / Pb backup nbd Win2k8R2 with "disk.enableUUID"
I have a problem to backup Windows 2008R2 VM on vSphere 4.1 with NBU 7.0.1 (with EEB ET2105102) (NBD and HOTADD transport).
My environement (Its a POC) :
- (Windows 2008 R2 x64) 1 Master NBU 7.0.1 ( EEB ET2105102) with MSDP (SAN HP-XP 200 Go) and 1 Gbps LAN
- (Windows 2008 R2 x64) 1 Master NBU 7.01 ( EEB ET2105102) with MSDP (SAN HP-XP 200 Go) and 1 Gbps LAN
- 1 ESX vSphere 4.1 with 10 VMs (Win 2k8R2 x64 Win 2K3 R2 x64) 1 vCenter
Now with vSphere 4.1, and by default with 2008 VM, the parameter "disk.enableUUID" is prensent and enable.
I don't have exact definition of this parameter, but, it permit the new feature "application level quiescing".
Windows 2008 application level quiescing is performed using a hardware snapshot provider. After quiescing the virtual machine, the hardware snapshot provider creates two redo logs per disk: one for the live virtual machine writes and another for the VSS and writers in the guest to modify the disks after the snapshot operation as part of the quiescing operations. The snapshot configuration information reports this second redo log as part of the snapshot. This redo log represented the quiesced state of all the applications in the guest. This redo log must be opened for backup with VDDK 1.2. The older VDDK 1.1 software cannot open the second redo log for backup.
Alternately, this feature may be disabled, set the "disk.EnableUUID" parameter for all VM Windows 2008/2008R2 settings to False :
- Power off VM
- Settings --> Options --> General --> Configuration Parameters.
- Set disk.EnableUUID to False.
- Save the settings.
- Power on the virtual machine.
I didn't test this parameter with SAN transport, have you testing this ?
If you have a solution or another explanation !!