7.5 - DeployAnywhere issues - DS upgrade is a mess for me
I have to rebuild all of my images to get the latest agent (otherwise imaging failes on reboot to production and/or agent is trying to upgrade while tasks are trying to run). Luckily (or so I thought) 90% of our computers share 1 hardware independent image, so I upgraded agents on that image and when bringing it down various drivers are missing on various machines - which was NOT an issue prior to my upgrade. I see the driver DB was moved. Is it possible I lost driver files in the move? Of course I didn't back up the DriverDB folder prior to upgrade and shadow copy doesn't go back far enough at this point.
When restoring the HI image, on one model wireless drivers were missing. On another model, it's display drivers. Can't wait to pull out every model we own to play the what's missing game & hope I can get some working version into DriverDB!
Also, to get USB3.0 drivers to work with DA, Symantec posted this tech article - http://www.symantec.com/business/support//index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TECH205253 which worked fine in 7.1. It looks like the path to dpinst changed that there's a 1 now in the path. That's the problem with one off fixes like this - they tend to break with upgrades and the customer has to track down tech articles that don't seem to be updated when something breaks.
I'm so frustrated with this upgrade as far as DS is concerned. Before even finding this DA issue, I've already overcome
1) PXE didn't work initially. I had some of the old _netboot related services still running. I stopped them and at some point now they don't show in services.msc so I assume the upgrade was supposed to stop/remove those old services. I rebuilt preboot configs, etc until I finally was able to PXE boot new and existing computers without using the console. This took way too much tinkering customers shouldn't have to do.
2) No images being able to be deployed because they weren't moved properly as part of the upgrade. I moved disk image files myself and renamed paths in console to overcome this, thankfully someone on Connect pointed me in the right direction before I could even get to talk to someone with support who knew what they were talking about. This is after L1 support told me completely wrong info (install package services on NS), which luckily people here told me not to do.
3) One image just missing. Luckily I had a backup to restore from.
4) Disk images I was able to move and repoint in the GUI, but apparently if you use backup images and they don't move like they should, you'll need to do some DB work to make those work again.
5) Rebuild all images to get latest agents. This will take me a week or so. Is there no way Symantec could do some upgrade of deployment agent files to not break the imaging process?
I thought waiting for HF2 was long enough to wait to attempt this upgrade, but apparently not.