Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrade.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

811 error on new media server

Created: 19 May 2011 • Updated: 20 May 2011 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I have added in a new media server Windows 2008 and connected it to my Solaris 10 master server. All connects fine. I'm using SSO option and have zoned in tape drives and robotics to the new media server and created a new storage unit.

When I try to backup the media server using the new local storage unit I get the error 1: (811) failed to communicate with resource requester - if I use the Solaris Storage unit (same hardware) the backup runs fine.

I have never seen an error like this before - I have logged a call but I wondered if anyone has seen something similar?

many thanks

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Riaan.Badenhorst's picture

Is the windows server listed in the master server's server list?

Marianne's picture

I have seen status 811's twice. In both cases hosts files were used for comms - NBU was configured with short names, but FQDN names were used in SOME hosts files. What we found is that for some reason NBU wanted to use FQDN for resource allocation where it was mentioned, but because of missing/incorrect FQDN in one of the hosts file, backups failed with status 811.  bptestbpcd  tests were successful.

Here are the details of the two cases that I'm referring to:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/net...

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
gustav's picture

Excellent - fixed - added fqdn of media server to master and now jobs are running properly.