Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Nov 27, 2012 12:36 PM

After installing framework - reboot, registering a user then install client and rebooting this new release version on XP SP3 32 bit I get a never seen before error after the SEE login screen. 

Can only reboot and it returns to same issue.   Reads like this for a second or two on the screen

"Failed to open ‘/var/run/pcscd.pid’: No such file or directory.  Failed to specify whom to kill"

Going back to 8.2 SEE works fine.  Also the same 8.2.1 MP3 build works fine on Windows 7.

XP is a Toshiba Tecra S10 with standard SATA drive.

Looking for options before I call support.

• 2.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Dec 11, 2012 12:37 PM

We're having the same issue as well.  We're deploying SEE 8.2.1 MP1

Only a few machines have reported the error.

Dell Latitude D620 running Windows XP and HP 8470p running Windows 7.

No response yet from Symantec as to root cause.

• 3.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Dec 21, 2012 10:46 AM

Same issue here and only happening to a few machines. I never had the issue on the initial install; only after upgrading to newer version (8.2.1 MP2). We're running Windows 7 and all the machines are Lenovo Thinkpads. The models with the issue are T530. Hopefully some sort of cause is determined...

• 4.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Dec 28, 2012 01:53 PM

Maybe someone from Symantec will chime in at some point???

• 5.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Dec 31, 2012 03:05 PM

We've opened a support ticket with Symantec on this.   Ticket is still open as of 12/31/12.

As mentioned above, issue is on Dell Latitude D620, D630 and HP EliteBook 8470p -- but not all of them.  We have thousands of these machines deployed but only 3 have reported this issue.

We created a hardware customized client with the following settings -- basically it is enabling all 4 options in the custom settings (USB 2.0, IRQ Poll, USB Handoff and Module Load):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Section for index 30]

Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packard

Model=HP EliteBook 8470p

KernelParams=root=/dev/ram loglevel=1 need_EHCI irqpoll ge_modinfo=2 USBhandoff

InstallerOpt=

[Section for index 31]

Manufacturer=Dell Inc.

Model=Latitude D620

InstallerOpt=

[Section for index 32]

Manufacturer=Dell Inc.

Model=Latitude D630

InstallerOpt=

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Roland Thomas

• 6.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update. I only know of it happening on 2 machines here, but it could be more if the users are not noticing it. Anyways, hopefully Symantec will determine the cause. Thanks again!

• 7.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Feb 14, 2013 09:57 AM

Did you try 8.2.1 MP5 with the machines you are reproting the issue on? Can you provide any differentiating features of those machines? Does reinstalling windows and trying again sokve the issue or the issue is reproducible?

• 8.  RE: 8.2.1 MP3 error after PBA login

Posted Feb 14, 2013 10:33 AM

I havent tried 8.2.1 MP5 yet, but will be in the near future. I believe the machines that we have primarily seen this on are Lenovo Thinkpads - T530 with Solid State drives, however it could be happening on other machines as well with Sata drives. I dont really have any other detailed specs at the moment. I'm not sure about reinstalling the OS as I havent resorted to that yet. As far as reproducing, I cant, it appears to be totally random. I havent heard any complaints regarding this issue lately, so it's kind of been put on the backburner for now. However, if you or anyone else has any additional insight or suggestions regarding this issue, that would be great. As soon as i get a chance, I will deploy the latest version to the affected machines to see if it makes a difference. I'll report back my findings... thanks.