Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  ABORT: 656, Could not create a snapshot of the volume. (linux)

Posted Oct 26, 2015 12:05 PM

Hi,

I am running ghost from gss3.0 in a network booted Ubuntu environment on two different pieces of hardware and getting differing behaviour between them.  In one, a xen virtual machine, ghost works correctly and I can create an image of the disk.  In the second, an HP ML150, ghost fails with:

ABORT: 656, Could not create a snapshot of the volume.

Adding -NOVOLUMESNAPSHOT to the ghost command line results in:

ABORT: 640, A source volume could not be locked.

# ghost -ver

Symantec Ghost 12.0.0 (build=8010, cdrlib=4.0.0). Built on Aug 7 2015 15:03:32.

The ghost command line is:

ghost -BLIND "-CLONE,mode=CREATE,src=$(gho_dev2num "${disk}"),dst=/an/sshfs/mount/${disk}.gho,szeE" -IA -IB -Z6 -SURE -BATCH -FX -IGNORELVM

gho_dev2num is a shell function using gdisk to map /dev/${disk} to the numeric identifier use by ghost.

Prior to running ghost some scripts have run to partition the disks (gpt) and install some virtual machine images.  I can blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda without an error indicating there are no volume groups or mounted file systems.  Both systems are configured to boot as UEFI.  The GHOSTERR.TXT file contains the same error message, the command line and the kernel version (stock Ubuntu 14.04.3) with no indication as to which or why the volume cannot be locked.  There are some LVM volumes created during the installation but dmsetup ls show that they are all inactive before ghost runs.

Is there a way to produce more diagnostic output which could allow me to see more precisely what the problem is?

• 2.  RE: ABORT: 656, Could not create a snapshot of the volume. (linux)

Posted Oct 26, 2015 01:15 PM

After being stumped by this for several days I've finally made some progress and it seems that there is possibly a bad interaction between the HP UEFI firmware and ghost.  If I delete the vfat (code 0700 or ef00) partitions from the disk then I can create an image.  Obviously no good if the image doesn't include the ESP though.  (Also changing -IA -IB for -IR works but on a 1Tb disk with ~940Gb unpartitioned space that hurts:)  The system also has an 8Gb sd-card which works with a single ext4 (8300) partition but not fat32 (0700).

• 3.  RE: ABORT: 656, Could not create a snapshot of the volume. (linux)

Posted Feb 01, 2016 08:17 AM

This issue is no longer present in GSS3.0 HF4.

# ./ghost -ver
    Symantec Ghost 12.0.0 (build=8019, cdrlib=4.0.0). Built on Nov 17 2015 12:26:10.
    Copyright ▒ 2015 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.

• 4.  RE: ABORT: 656, Could not create a snapshot of the volume. (linux)

Posted Feb 01, 2016 05:51 PM

Thanks for the post back with your updated findings.  I didn't know we had made a change to the linux ghost files but I am glad this is working for you now.