About reset Change Block Tracking (CBT) for VMware Backups
I found one Symantec KB about reset Change Block Tracking (CBT) for VMware Backups.
- Locate "ctkEnabled" and change the value to "false"
- Locate "scsi0:x.ctkEnabled" and change the value to false. (where "x" is the number for the vmdk file, example scsi0:0.ctkEnabled would be the first VMDK for the virtual machine)
- Open the folder the virtual machine is stored in on the datastore and remove any -CTK.VMDK files
- Power on the virtual machine
- After the virtual machine has completed it's boot sequence, power the virtual machine off. Note: This step is required to update the CTK tables for the virtual machine.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Run the backup of the virtual machine. When this backup runs CBT will get enabled. (If the backup is scheduled to run at a later time CBT will get enabled at that time)
Do I need to change ctkEnabled" and change back the value to "true" after power on VM? When change the value of "ctkEnabled" to "false", do it mean that disable Change Block Tracking (CBT) for VMware Backups? Backup size of each VM is equal to the maximum size of VMDK when each backup performs?