Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

about upgrading to SEP12.1 RU1 MP1

Created: 30 Aug 2012 • Updated: 30 Aug 2012 | 25 comments

Now I am running SEP12.1 On Win Server 2003 with SQL Server 2005.

Since I need to upgrade the OS and database version first.

Can I upgrade SEP to newest version by the following steps:

1.  Backup the Server Private Key and Database ;

2.  Do a fresh installation of SEP12.1 RU1 MP1 on Win Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2008;

3.  Use the backup to make a disaster recovery;

Or I have to install SEP12.1 first, and make a disaster recovery, then upgrade to RU1(both server and clients), finally, upgrade to RU1 MP1?

Another question is:

How should I upgrade the clients?

A: use SEPM to do a remote push / export a package and install it at the clients side.

B: clients will upgrade the version automatically from SEPM.

A or B ?

If the answer is A, means I have to upgrade the clients to RU1 first and then to RU1 MP1?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

Comments 25 CommentsJump to latest comment

Leo Young's picture

I've found out how to upgrade the clients.

the available methods to upgrade clients to Endpoint Protection 12.1:

• AutoUpgrade (Enterprise Edition only): assign client packages to groups in the Manager console, either manually or by using the Upgrade Groups Wizard.

• LiveUpdate product updates (Enterprise Edition only): Permit product updates in LiveUpdate Settings policy for a client group in the Manager console.

• Local installation from the product disc.

• Run the Client Deployment Wizard from the Manager console. It will walk you through the creation of a client package that can be deployed via a weblink and email, remote push, or saved for later local installation or deployment using third-party tools.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Check these Articles:

1) Upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.1101 (RU1 MP1)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187753

2) Release Notes for Symantec Endpoint Protection, Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition, and Symantec Network Access Control, version 12.1, Release Update 1 MP1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5564

3) New fixes and features in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 1 Maintenance Patch 1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187656

Check this thread

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sepm-121-ru1-sepm-121-ru1-mp1-upgrade-procedures

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Leo Young's picture

Normally, the upgrade path is: 12.1 > 12.1 RU1 > 12.1 RU1 MP1.

following this path, it doesn't need to uninstall previous version.

But in my case, I want to make a fresh installation of SEP with newest version, If it is supported or not to make a disaster recovery using a backup from previous version?

Ashish-Sharma's picture

You can install new SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1

If it is supported or not to make a disaster recovery using a backup from previous version?

No it's not supported. Due to schema changes

You can Use Sylink Replacer to move client to Move from old SEPM to new SEPM

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Leo Young's picture

"No it's not supported. Due to schema changes"

is there any KB discussing this?

and I will test if it is supported or not next Monday, Now I don't have any extra server.  :-(

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Hi Leo,

Check some Steps for Upgrading SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1

Steps

1. Backup the embedded database
  2. Stop the SEPM service
  3. Install 12.1 RU1 SEP Manager on the server
  4. Restart the SEPM service --> No need to restart, it would start automatically.
  5. Make new 12.1 RU1 packages for client deployment
  6. Deploy SEP client
  7. Backup the embedded database
  8. Stop the SEPM service
  9. Install 12.1 RU1 MP1 SEP Manager on the server
  10. Restart the SEPM service --> No need to restart, it would start automatically.
  11. Make new 12.1 RU1 MP1 packages for client deployment
  12. Install SEP client

Check this thread...

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/upgrading-sepmsep-1105002-ru5-1211101-ru1-mp1

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Leo Young's picture

I knew the steps. I just want to reduce the time upgrading to newest version. If following the steps, I have to upgrade SEP twice, and it is simple for SEPM, but for clients, some of them may be offline and can not get the upgrade push.

or can I use Replication partner method(load balancing) to "steal" the clients to a new server with newest SEPM version installed?

Ashish-Sharma's picture

SEPM 12.1 and SEPM 12.1 RU1 MP1 has different database schemas so you cannot apply load balancing on them if they are to share the same database. You can apply fail over in a way. Adding the other server to the management server list would allow the clients to communicate with the other server. Make sure you disable the certificate authentication.

Check This thread

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/failover-load-balancing-different-sepm-versions

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Leo Young's picture

if i use fail over, means I can not transfer the policy settings  for one to the other sever? I will use another database for 2nd SEPM server.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

but for clients, some of them may be offline and can not get the upgrade push.

You can use syslink tool for move the sep client new server.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Leo Young's picture

if i consider to use only one server, I have to wait all my clients ugrade to RU1,then i can upgrade SEPM to RU1 MP1. It will take much time. and those offline clients i have to manally uninstall the old version and then install the newest one when they are online again.

if i consider to use fail over, all policy settings in old SEPM can not be transferred smoothly to the new one. I have to export all policy settings from the old SEPM and import to the new one.

It is so troublesome.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

SEPM 12.1 RU1 MP1 Can be manage SEP 11.x and SEP 12.x Client.

You don't be uninstall SEP client you can using syslink tool and migrate all SEP client new server.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Leo Young's picture

how about groups setting and policies setting? can they migrate to new server or I have to create again manually?( I don't want to export for old server and import to new server, what i want is, as to do a disaster recovery, all poilcies and groups and license are still remained)

Yahya's picture

Leo, my advise is to wait another month. RU2 will be released and u will do upgrade direct to RU2 from SEP12.1

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Yes may be SEP 12.1.2 has resolved this issue.you can direct upgrade SEPM 12.1 to latest version...

SEP 12.1.2  realesed Date not announced as of now.

tentative october..

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

John Santana's picture

Ashish,

Does that means October this year there will be 12.1 RU2 ?

I'm about to roll out the server Antivirus upgrade v12.1 RU1 MP1 to all of my production server, but somehow  if the RU2 released anytime soon, then I can wait until RU2 is confirmed.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

John Santana's picture

Cool, then I should postpone my companywide upgrade to 12.1 altogether since I'm now at SEPM v 12.1 RU1 with majority of the clients are on 11.0.4 and 11.0.6

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

Simpson Homer's picture

you can expect th release in the forth coming months.

John Santana's picture

yes that's what I've been waiting for.

So I guess in this case the SEP client can be upgraded later while now I can do the upgrade from 12.1 RU1 into 12.1 RU1 MP1

is there any way for us to be notified when it is vailable for download ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

Simpson Homer's picture

Well, you could subscribe for the newsletters and that would keep you updated with the information. As for the upgrade, Yes you could do the upgrade from 12.1 ru1 to ru1mp1

News Bulletins ( All the updates that you need for a Symantec Products.)

http://www.symantec.com/support/news_bulletins/techsupp_bulletin_form.jsp

John Santana's picture

RU2 is not available yet so far ?

does anyone got it already ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

Simpson Homer's picture

John Santana

As discussed in the previous threads, the date would be out soon.

John Santana's picture

Thanks Simpson.

Rumor has it.... 17 November 2012

correct me if I'm wrong.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional