Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Adapting Custom Actions for 32/64-bit OS

Created: 07 Aug 2014 • Updated: 08 Aug 2014 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,
Using WISE, I have created a MSI for Windows 7 32bits.I have custom actions that are calling binaries (complied to support 32bits). What is the best practice to manage the custom actions in my current MSI to support 64-bits also (assuming compliing the binary files to support 64-bit). is there a condition for 64-bit or 32-bit I can use for each CA, or is there a better way....

Thanks.smiley

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

First of all, you cannot have a single MSI that handles both 32 bit and 64 bit installs. It is possible to add a few 64 bit components to a 32 bit install by changing the component attributes to show that specific components are 64 bit but that's really as far as you can go.

If you are scripting for both 32 bit and 64 bit environments then it would make sense to write your script with a header that detects whether the O/S is 32 bit or 64 bit and then follows the appropriate path through the rest of the code.

As for conditions, I would refer you to the "Property Reference" topic in the help file MSI.CHM, and the subsection referring to operating system properties. The one you want is VersionNT64.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

SOLUTION