Adding a Linux server
Before upgrading to version 2012 I was backing up a Linux box successfully. Once I upgraded the media server to BE 2012 I began seeing that job complete with exception because it was running an older version of the backup utility. It ran like that for several days as I had other more important features to fix. The last two backups of its kind started failing: "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer. Ensure that a Backup Exec agent is installed and running on the remote computer. If a Backup Exec agent is installed, ensure that it is the correct version."
I thought, "Okay, time to update it." So I used WinSCP to xfer the .gz file from my Win 7 machine to a folder I created on the Linux box at /BE_RAWS and then followed the following article to a 'T' and at the end it stated that the agent installed successfully.
Now, back on the media server I try to add the Linux server but it now cannot connect to it, I receive this error: Failure to browse "FQDN of media server" A communication failure occurred when attempting to connect to this server. Some common causes for this error are: the coputer name is typed incorrectly, the computer is not powered on, a Backup Exec agent is not installed, or the network is imporperly configured.
1. computer name is typed correctly: tried adding by server name, FQDN, and by IP and all failed
2. server is certainly powered on
3. I just installed the agent and it reported success, so can't be that
4. nothing on the network changed, ping and nslookup return favorable results
5. for the logon account I am using the root account, the same account i used to install the agent