Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Admin password recovery/reset SEP 12.1.4 WinServer 2012

Created: 05 Feb 2014 • Updated: 03 Mar 2014 | 11 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi.

I've read a few articles on this topic but I still can't quite get it right.
My server is offline and I can't connect it to the Internet for password reset process as described in articles.
Resetpass.bat from previous versions doesn't seem to work, too. Are there any special prerequisites to run it?

Is there any other (undocumented) way to reset admin password?

Please help.

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

Prok Lublin PL ITguy's picture

Thanks for reply.

Read it and tried a few timesbefore, launched resetpass.bat under cmd - doesn't work. "path not found"...
Should I install java on the server? That is NOT something I'm willing to do...
E-mail services are not configured on the server, can't do it this way.
I'm stuck.
Why couldn't they leave old method intact :( Not every SEP server on the planet is connected to the Internet.

James007's picture

I suggest you can open support ticket,Symantec team will help you.

Rafeeq's picture

Earlier anyone can run the restpass.bat and login to the console as full admin, security concern so they removed it..

As I mentioned earlier Support has a new Resetpass.bat , they would run that on your server and you will be able to reset, apart from this no other option.

.Brian's picture

Call support. Resetpass.bat still exists for 12.1

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SOLUTION
Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I believe Resetpass.bat can be the only way to recover the password if server is offline.

Chetan Savade
Sr Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

AJ_01's picture

You can contact with tech support and get the right resetpass.bat

you could log a case with Symantec Technical Support.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

OR 

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

• United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/h...

Regard

AJ

.Brian's picture

Do you need more assistance with your problem or were you able to get it resolved?

If you could post an update for followers of this thread that would be most helpful.

Otherwise, if resolved, you can close the thread out by clicking the "Mark as solution" link at the bottom left on the most helpful post. If multiple posts helped to solve your problem, please click the "Request split solution" link at the bottom left, select the most helpful posts and click the "Submit" button. This will benefit admins looking for a resolution to the same problem.

Thanks and take care,
Brian

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Prok Lublin PL ITguy's picture

Hello again.

Problem is resolved now, thanks to all of You.

Support has sent me new resetpass.bat in text form - it works. When I was reading through this file I've noticed that some paths are changed. That must have been the problem ("path not found").

Thanks and take care.

.Brian's picture

Happy to help and thank you for the update!

All the best,
Brian