Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  AFASNMPD crash after 9.5.2

Posted Sep 22, 2011 08:45 AM

Just upgraded my Brightmail 8240 appliance from 9.5.1 to 9.5.2.

The upgrade crashed just as describe in this article :

I did follow the solution, and the update finally succeeded. After a reboot from the upgraded appliance, I got an error from the box :

======================= ALERT NOTIFICATION ================================              

The following hardware components are not responding/working:

Host                     Component                Problem

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SomeHost             DISK                     Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried to restart the snmpd service, and the problem switch from UNKNOWN to ERROR.

I've restarted the appliance, and the controller claim that the RAID array is optimal, so the problem seems to be elsewhere.

Looking carfully at the rebooting appliance, I was able to see this error when trying to load AFASNMPD

/etc/init.d/afasnmpd: line 30: /dev/MAKEDEV.afa: no such file or directory.

Looking further, it looks like AFASNMPD is taking care of my RAID controller monitoring. If I try to stop this service, I'll get a FAILED error. Starting up the service again will bring the same MAKEDEV.afa error.

This doesn't look critical, but I would like to get rid of these warning. Is it a known issue ? Is it related to my earlier crash while updating ? Is there a fix ?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: AFASNMPD crash after 9.5.2
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Messaging Gateway 9.5.2 is not certified nor supported on the 8200 series appliances. This is expected behaviour.

• 3.  RE: AFASNMPD crash after 9.5.2

Posted Sep 22, 2011 02:41 PM

Ok... I'm wondering why my appliance is claiming that an update is available if this update isn't supported.

Does that means that my appliance isn't supported anymore, or simply that I'll need to wait for the next update to be supported ?

Thank you.

• 4.  RE: AFASNMPD crash after 9.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2011 02:51 PM

The software update check simply looks to see if there is a new software version available. We force you to read the release notes before updating so you can be familiar with what is new and which platforms are supported on the new version.

Here is a link to the release notes: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4667

Please review the release notes again. Under the section labeled Supported Platforms. It states the following:

You can update to Symantec Messaging Gateway 9.5.2 on any of the following platforms:

Since the 8200 appliances are no longer supported, we have ceased testing and certification on them.