Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 24, 2009 12:34 PM
    I install SEP 11 MR4MP2 client on Windows Server 2003. Setup process was successful. After 1-2 minutes server lost all network connections. I try pinging this server, but it was unreachible.
    When I restart server network works.

Last record before restart in SEP System log is "Network Threat Protection applied a new IPS library ".  I check General Settings on client group and option "Block all traffic before firewall start and until firewall stop " was disabled.

I setup SEP 11 client on another Windows Server 2003 with same configuration without any problems.

Somebody knowns about this issuer?

• 2.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 24, 2009 12:56 PM
    Could you please let us know what are the components of SEP is installed on the server. ( AV and AVS, PTP and NTP ) ?
    If all 3 are installed uinstall NTP and PTP from the server and see if that works

• 3.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 24, 2009 01:08 PM
    Install only AV & AVS on server OS.

NTP & PTP are not recomended for Server OS.

Regards...
    Ramji Iyyer

• 4.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 24, 2009 03:00 PM
    Hi,

Yes it is recommended to Install Only AV on the Servers. However, the reason why we don't recommend or we see the Proactive Threat Protection to be OFF on all the Server OS is because it's a (Behaviour) heuristics Scan. It not only Scans your file and folders on the disk, but also Scans the Temporary files in the Ram area based on their behaviour, thus impacting the performance of the system. So, the PTP is not designed for the Server's, its only for the Clients.

You may want to install Network Threat Protection on the Server's, provided the Firewall Rules are configured correctly for the Servers.
    If you are running the latest release of SEP on your network, and you have NTP installed on the Server, I don't think the default Firewall policy should have a negative impact on the network.

• 5.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 24, 2009 03:05 PM
    If you are using DFS ( distributed file system) on the file server then this problem is common hence uninstall the NTP & PTP that should help you :)

• 6.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 24, 2009 03:16 PM
    hey kavin,

Would you have any information on , as in how NTP should matter if DFS is installed on the server ?

• 7.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 28, 2009 10:30 AM

Hello Prachand.

I installed all components to server. Troubles would be only after installation. After reboot server works fine for 4 days. I dont see any troubles on this server now.

I want to use Application and Device Control functionality on our servers. What components of SEP 11 I must leave on my servers for this functionality?

• 8.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 28, 2009 12:23 PM
    For the application and device control to work we need all the 3  components

AV and  AVS
    NTP
    PTP

• 9.  RE: After installation SEP 11 MR4MP2 Client on Windows Server 2003 server lost all network connection

Posted Sep 28, 2009 01:58 PM
    Hello Everyone!

So far I have not seen problem on servers if only AVAS is installed on servers operating systems, may include POP3/SMTP scanner and don't include Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes scanners.

SA of the server should manage shares/permissions/authentications, etc.  to better control the system.

Thank you!