Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  After upgrade to 11.0.7 SEPM, not able to connect to server

Posted Mar 28, 2012 04:35 PM

I installed SEPM 11.0.7 over the 11.0.5 version and along with that install was the Database upgrade(I think it mentioned something about 11.0.3). I didn't receive any errors during this installation process. Beforehand I stopped all Symantec services, but was unable to stop the Symantec Management Client. I also backed up the database before proceeding with any of these upgrades.

However since the install, I cannot start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service. It prompts "The Symantec Protection Manager service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

So when I try to open SEPM and type in my login information, it prompts "Failed to connect to the server. Make sure that the server is running and your session has not timed out. If you can reach the server but cannot log on, make sure that you provided the correct parameters. If you are experiencing network issues, contact your system administrator." My credentials and the network are fine.

It was weird when I told it to proceed with the Database upgrade how it said initializing... and never scripted anything else on the page. I don't think the Database upgrade worked correctly. Is there a good way to just reinstall that portion of this SEPM upgrade?

When I was testing, this happened the first time. But the second time it didn't happen. And now I need it to work, but it doesn't work. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jen

• 2.  RE: After upgrade to 11.0.7 SEPM, not able to connect to server

Posted Mar 28, 2012 05:01 PM

I just found this upgrade.log file: What should I do?

Server HomeC:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat
    initDatasource dbport:2638
    Has valid SAV license
    Info>> No SNAC license file in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc\license
    Config schema format is upgraded from: 11.0.3.0
    Launch FRame
    net stop semsrv

initDatasource dbport:2638
    java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.ErrorMessage.raiseError(ErrorMessage.java:557)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.ErrorMessage.raiseErrorCheckDead(ErrorMessage.java:861)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.handleIOE(Tds.java:3967)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.handleIOE(Tds.java:3912)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.login(Tds.java:440)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.tryLogin(SybConnection.java:254)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.regularConnect(SybConnection.java:230)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.<init>(SybConnection.java:200)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.<init>(SybConnection.java:134)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver.createConnection(SybDriver.java:545)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver.connect(SybDriver.java:485)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver.connect(SybDriver.java:517)
        at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDataSource.getConnection(SybDataSource.java:227)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:291)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:282)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.upgrade.UpgradeDBUtil.initDataSource(UpgradeDBUtil.java:244)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.upgrade.Upgrade.doUpgrade(Upgrade.java:211)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.upgrade.ui.UpgradeTask$ActualTask.<init>(UpgradeTask.java:190)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.upgrade.ui.UpgradeTask$1.construct(UpgradeTask.java:95)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.upgrade.ui.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:121)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Result: Can't connect to database at this moment. You may need to upgrade manually.
    Starting service ...
    The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service is starting.
    The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

Starting console on Windows ...
    Run command:  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\..\bin\sesm.bat
    Export folder is not valid.

• 3.  RE: After upgrade to 11.0.7 SEPM, not able to connect to server

Posted Mar 28, 2012 08:50 PM

Try by repairing SEPM from add/remove programs.

• 4.  RE: After upgrade to 11.0.7 SEPM, not able to connect to server
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 11:35 PM

Hi

Please check in services and see if embedded db service is started,if its running fine then

From the below location run the upgrade.bat file

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Bin

if embedded db service is not try the steps in the below link

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-embedded-database-service-doesnt-running

• 5.  RE: After upgrade to 11.0.7 SEPM, not able to connect to server

Posted Mar 29, 2012 12:07 AM

Try this steps & check database is successfully connected or nor.

Verify communication to the embedded (Sybase) database.
    Verify that the "Symantec Embedded Database" service is running and that the "dbsrv9.exe" process is listening on TCP port 2638.

• Test the ODBC connection.
      1. Click Start> Control Panel
      2. Open Administrator Tools
      3. Double-click Data Sources (ODBC)
      4. Select the System DSN tab
      5. Double-click the SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN and go through the wizard to ensure the following settings:
        • Name: SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN
        • Description:<Anything>
        • Server: Servername\InstanceName (Can be blank as it is localized, otherwise specify default "sem5")
        • Login ID: dba
        • Password: <password>

Note: If the “Encrypt password” box on the Login tab is not checked, your password will be stored as plain text in the Windows registry.

6. Leave the default settings for the remaining items and click Finish
      7. Click Test Data Source, and verify that it states "Success"
      8. Click OK

Verify communication to the Remote (SQL) Database.

• Verify that you have specified a named instance during installation and configuration. Example: \\<server name>\<instance name>
    • Verify SQL Server is running and properly configured.
    • Verify the network connections between Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and the SQL database.
    • Test the ODBC connection.
      1. Click Start> Control Panel
      2. Open Administrator Tools
      3. Double-click Data Sources (ODBC)
      4. Select the System DSN tab
      5. Double-click SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN and go through the wizard to ensure the following settings:
        • Name: SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN
        • Description:<Anything>
        • Server: Servername\InstanceName (Only enter the server name or IP address if using the default instance)
        • Login ID: sa
        • Password: <password>

6. Leave the defaults for the rest of the items and click Finish
      7. Click Test Data Source on the next page and ensure it states "Success"
      8. Click OK

• 6.  RE: After upgrade to 11.0.7 SEPM, not able to connect to server

Posted Mar 29, 2012 04:43 PM

I first tried the add/remove programs- to repair it. This reconfigured the Server configuration, but didn't proceed with the upgrade like needed.

The ODBC settings were good to check, but it was all configured correctly(thanks for notes on that though- still good info)

But the trick was the

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Bin\upgrade.bat!

It might have been a combination of a few of those replies, but everything is running well now! Thanks so much!