Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

• 1.  After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Posted Dec 01, 2011 07:59 PM

Hi. 

Upgraded today the management console on a working server 2008 box.  This is the only management server.  The database is the internal database.

The upgraded finished successfully and reported no errors.

On first login to the database (from the conclusion of the successful install) the console came up and I could see the clients.  Then an obscure error message -- actualy said unexpected error I believe.

From here, the service does come back to life, I can log in again, see my clients breifly and then poof another obscure error message and I'm kicked back to the login screen.

In the event viewer each time this happens is an error entry - semsrv -- the java virtual machine has exited with a code of -1, the service is being stopped.

You're help resolving is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 01, 2011 08:34 PM

pass on the tomcat logs scm-server-0.log after you try to login.

• 3.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Posted Dec 02, 2011 01:49 AM

Hi

Every update i've done result the same without reboot you can enter the console but after 1 or 2 minutes, you've got "Unable to access server".

You just need to reboot your server (windows) and everything works fine after.

Stephane.

• 4.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 08:47 AM

Hello,

Questions:

Could you please check int he services.msc what Symantec Endpoint Services are stopped??

Is that Symantec Embedded Database Service OR Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Services stopped??

Was there any Backup taken before starting the Migration as Suggested in the Migration Document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171552 ??

Suggestions:

1) Could you try restarting those services?

2) Restart the Server

3) Could you run the upgrade.bat file as Administrator?

Upgrade.bat file could be found under C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Posted Dec 02, 2011 10:30 AM

Hey all thanks.  Here's what's up so far...

- server has been rebooted.

- Services show as started.  I can stop and start all the symantec services no problem and they stay started.  It's just that after getting into the console i'm kicked out after about ten seconds.  If i wait or restart services i can get back in.  then kicked out again. always with that java error logged.

- not familiar with the upgrade.bat file.  I've already upgraded the management server console.  do you mean run again?

- don't have the log yet.  customer not onsite until 8am.

thanks.

• 6.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 10:42 AM

Hello,

Great, Good to Hear that the Issue is resolved.

upgrade.bat file is a file found in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

This File basically helps syncronizing the database with the SEPM and updates SEPM with all packages.

Incase, if the Thread has answered all your questions, please mark my Comment as "Solved"

Again, here is Quick List of Articles which may be handy to you with SEP 12.1

Quick Access to Symantec Knowledgebase Articles of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/quick-access-symantec-knowledgebase-articles-symantec-endpoint-protection-121

Troubleshooting Articles for Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1

Hope that helps!!

• 7.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:08 AM

Hi Mithun.

Actually still having the problem.  I get kicked out and get that same java error in the event logs.

If i wait, it eventually comes back to life.  Are you saying that I should run that BAT file even after the main install showed as successful?

Thanks.

• 8.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:21 AM

Hello,

Quite amazing..

So, It clearly seems that some thing is blocking the Services to stop and after sometime start again.

If not, Could you please upload the scm-server-0.log

and

Catalina.out.log

from \Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Tomcat\Logs

That may be helpful.

• 9.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 03, 2011 11:19 AM

After reviewing those logs (thanks guys), java heap memory errors were referenced.  after confirming with support, the fix is found in this tech doc TECH105179.

Only change option 0, (but to 512) and option 1 to the 1024.  I didn't change the other entries.

Change the bat to match.

I don't use java console so #3 was not necessary.

As Tom Petty once said, "Look's like I've been fooled again."  ..... "And I don't like it!"

• 10.  RE: After upgrading Manager Console from 11.0.6100.645 to 11.0.7 database works then stops with java vm error reported

Posted Dec 06, 2011 07:25 PM

Do you have the link to this doc? I'm having the same issue.