Video Screencast Help

AIR SLP Imports do not run on Target Master Server after successful replication from Source

Created: 27 Sep 2012 | 6 comments

All server OSes are Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise

Source domain is Master and separate Media Server

Target domain is Master and Media Server on one server

Media servers are MSDP - 7.5.0.3

For months the SLPs have been working perfectly. Backups from source domain backup, replicate to target, and get imported at the target. We also have an SLP that replicates some jobs from the target to second target in another site, where it makes a tape copy for long term retention.

All of the sudden last week imports are not automatically occuring on the target. I restarted the services and some of the SLP imports ran right away, loads of them, but not the SLP that runs imports and replicates to the second target.

Saw a person online with a similar problem, they said they upgraded to 7.5.0.4 and the problem went away, so I upgraded, but the behavior hasn't changed. I opened a ticket with support, and haven't really gotten anywhere yet with it.

If shutdown and restart the services on the first target, they generally import right away, but again, not the SLP that replicates to the second target.

ugggg....

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

run the following (pipe it to a text file) and attach the result :

nbstl -L -all_versions

The 7.1.0.4 may have added a version anyway so the old images may be stuck in a problem SLP

Do it for each site and name the output text files so we know which is which (nbstl_primary.txt and nbstl_dr.txt or similar)

Thanks

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

D Thomas's picture

Attached. Not sure why this would cause the imports not to run automatically. None of them run automatically, only when services restarted, and the aus2M-alp6W-wal6W-14MT SLP doesn't import at all on the target.

Thanks for taking a look.

DT

AttachmentSize
DR.txt 7.84 KB
Prod.txt 8.74 KB
D Thomas's picture

So I have an update - I restarted the Netbackup Storage Lifecycle Manger Service and the Netbackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service, and the import for one of the SLPs ran. Didn't have to recycle all the services.

Still not working normally though, and the aus2M-alp6W-wal6W-14MT does not import.

Mark_Solutions's picture

Thanks .. quick summary and observations:

Prod:
aus-1MDD-RepToAlph-1MTape - backup - rep - dup <-- has no matching import
aus-2MDD-RepToAlph-1MDD - backup - rep <-- OK has matching import
aus-nbu01-2MDD-RepToAlph-1M - backup - rep <-- OK, has matching import
aus2M-alp1M - backup - rep <-- Ok, has matching import
aus2M-alp6W-wal6W-14MT - backup - rep <-- OK, has matching import

DR:
1MDD-1WAlph - import <-- no good, has no matching SLP in Prod
aus-2MDD-RepToAlph-1MDD - import <-- OK, has matching SLP in Prod
aus-nbu01-2MDD-RepToAlph-1M - import <-- OK, has matching SLP in Prod
aus2M-alp1M - import <-- OK, has matching SLP in Prod
aus2M-alp6W-wal6W-14MT - import - rep <-- OK, has matching SLP in Prod
wal2M-alp1M - import <-- no good, has no matching SLP in Prod
wal2M-alp1M-wal14MT - import <-- no good, has no matching SLP in Prod

Is this how you expect it to be?

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

D Thomas's picture

Yes this is OK, although I should delete the old SLPs. There is another production domain that sends data to this DR site. It is the one that has SLPs that start with wal - these slps are also not importing automatically, but do when I restart the services.

D Thomas's picture

Since my last restart, it seems like the import process is kicking off every 5 minutes, sometimes with multiple imports at a time, and it hasn't stopped running these in the last 90 minutes.

I looked into BAR to see what was available for restore, and the earliest available is about a week old (9/18) but as the imports are moving along I am seeing the available restores tick up (9/19).

So now it looks like there was some werid block in the import process. I haven't changed anything, but it looks like it has not been importing properly for some time, and I don't know why.

Keeping my finger crossed that this was just some strange blip.