Video Screencast Help

Altiris 6.9 SP4 Dell 7010 Driver installation not working

Created: 28 Aug 2012 • Updated: 18 Sep 2012 | 27 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

This sounds like a broken record type issue.  We have been trying to install a NIC driver into Altiris with no luck and have tried both the Dell driver and the Intel driver.  We see the number of drivers currently installed and follow the instructions on installing additional drivers.  Altiris indicates a new driver has been installed and the database updates the list, but the number of installed drivers does not increase and the driver is not listed.  We have tried for 4 days to install these drivers on both Altiris and Ghost with no luck.  We have tried loading from various paths, as well, and have placed the drivers in the DriverDB folder and the WinPE2 folder path.  Is there a trick to loading these?

Comments 27 CommentsJump to latest comment

pashyn's picture

It the driver going be used for PXE or Windows image?

If PXE remember that it uses 32bit drivers. I always forget that and wonder why windows 64bit drivers fron work....

Star Center's picture

We have tried both PXE and WinPE2, and have only tried the 32bit Vista drivers.

yogeshsadhu's picture

Can you provide the driver / link where the driver can be downloaded ,which you are adding to WinPE2.1 , So that i can try .

Yogesh Sadhu.

If you feel your issue has been addressed,please use the "Mark as Solution" link for the relevant thread.

Star Center's picture

The Dell driver is the N0F78-A00-00 at:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/ServiceTag/D8365V1

The Intel Driver is the Intel 82579LM within the PROWin32.exe from:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18718&keyword=Intel+82579LM&lang=eng

We have only tried these drivers, however, I think any driver we try will fail to load into the Driver DB.

Good luck.

yogeshsadhu's picture

Thanks for providing the drivers , i'll update.

Yogesh Sadhu.

If you feel your issue has been addressed,please use the "Mark as Solution" link for the relevant thread.

BBC's picture

Star Center,

Have you tried to manually inject them into your WinPE (i.e. mount the WIM, inject the drivers and unmount it)?

-BBC

yogeshsadhu's picture

I have download the driver provided , by extracting the source . i see driver folder for Vista 32 and Vista 64 ;

I am successfully able to upload this driver to Bootwize and also can see in the list. I can also add this driver to DriverDB ; but looking at your problem , this is required to be uploaded to Bootwiz;

Can you provide the location from where you have uploaded these drivers.

Also when driver gets added to Bootwiz which will be utilized by winPE and you should see this at : <Installdir>\bootwiz\Platforms\WinPE\x64\Drivers\CUSTOM\Drivers\E1c60x64 ;

Also check by reinstalling DS client machine , as Automation folder has to be updated with new driver added at client machine.

Yogesh Sadhu.

SOLUTION
Star Center's picture

We have not been using the 64 bit driver so we will not have it listed in the path you indicate.

I do show the following in this path:

<Installdir>\bootwiz\Platforms\WinPE2\x86\Drivers\CUSTOM\E1c6032

I believe I placed this manually, but it is still not detected.

We are unable to get a client machine to be recognized by the Altiris server once we make a selection from the Boot Menu so we can't push any Automation jobs to the new device.

I am beginning to think our program is broken and we need to reinstall the whole thing.

ianatkin's picture

It looks like your manual driver placement isn't in the correct path to me. The tail of the path \CUSTOM\Drivers\1c6032

What happens when you try to use the Bootwiz interface to add the drivers? You shouldn't have to do this manually.

Kind Regards,
Ian./

Ian Atkin, IT Services, Oxford University, UK

Connect Etiquette: "Mark as Solution" those posts which resolve your problem, and give a thumbs up to useful comments, articles and downloads

Star Center's picture

The Bootwiz interface acts the same way as every other method we have tried.  It says the driver has been added, no matter what path we use, and the database is rebuilt, but nothing in the database changes.

We have used both the Dell and Intel drivers, as well as, the driver that Intel says works with our version of Altiris (6.9 SP4).

The path to the driver should not be an issue if the product was working properly, it seems to me.

ianatkin's picture

Something is indeed amis. What I was getting at though is that if you are going to manually inject a driver you should make sure it's in the location expected? So... this means you have to have your driver folder copied to \Drivers\CUSTOM\Drivers

Connect Etiquette: "Mark as Solution" those posts which resolve your problem, and give a thumbs up to useful comments, articles and downloads

ianatkin's picture

Sorry to go over old ground, but does this mean that that you had a typo in your previous comment,

I do show the following in this path:

<Installdir>\bootwiz\Platforms\WinPE2\x86\Drivers\CUSTOM\E1c6032

So.. this means your driver is in fact in the folder,

<Installdir>\bootwiz\Platforms\WinPE2\x86\Drivers\CUSTOM\Drivers\E1c6032

Star Center's picture

Yes, the E1c6032 folder is in the \CUSTOM\Drivers\ folder with all the other 'preloaded' drivers that come with the program.  I would think that once the driver is installed from any source folder, it would be placed in this folder by Altiris.  I simply placed it there myself to see if it would make a difference.  It did not.

ianatkin's picture

Thanks for being patient. Could you do me a favour and zip up your E1c6032 folder and dropbox it or attach it here? I just want to compare it with what I've got.

Also, with your 7010 in it's production OS, could you run the DriverProfiler script and also attach/zip this?

http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/windows-driver-profiler-script

This will help us isolate the issue.

Kind Regards,
Ian./

Star Center's picture

Attached is the zip file of what we have in the E1c6032 folder.

There is no 'Production system' yet as we are trying to get the 7010 to connect to Altiris to see if we can push an existing XP image to it.  This is where the problem started.  After the initial PXE boot, the 7010 disappears and seems to lose it's DHCP address and never appears in Altiris.

AttachmentSize
E1c6032 Driver.zip 188.82 KB
ianatkin's picture

How did your automation rebuild go? As I said on PM these v11.8.78.0 drivers look fine to me, but here anyway are the version 11.13.51.0 drivers which are dated 07/20/2011.

Unfortunately we don't have any Dell 7010 models here, so I can't validate these for this model specifically.

AttachmentSize
E1c6032.zip 203.33 KB

Star Center's picture

I actually found there was a SP5 for version 6.9 so we installed that, and the driver is now installed.  Unfortunately, we have discovered upon using the WinPE2.1 preboot for  this system, we are able to see the equipment on Altiris but when trying to create an image of the system, Altiris sends a WOL to the unit and it reboots and looses it's connection before the image is taken.  We are unable to disable this because we do not have Agent Configuration installed and can't change it.

ianatkin's picture

Good to see at least that the driver issue is sorted. A WOL packet however will not result in the behaviour you are seeing. It's likely that Altiris is forcing the machine to PXE boot again to ensure it's in the 'right' automation OS.

This generally happens when you force you own PXE boot option, then drop the imaging job onto the PC. If the WinPE option differs from the one Altiris would have automatically chosen, it will initate a reboot in an attempt to PXE boot the correct option.

My advice is to,

1. Configure client machine to PXE boot as first boot item
  2. Drop imaging job onto client
  3. Turn on client machine

What you should now see is that the machine will startup, PXE boot and download the correct automation environment for imaging (as selecting in the imaging job)

Star Center's picture

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this.  The process we have been using is to stage the job, turn on the client, and when the client appears in the New Computer pane, we drag it into the job.  Previously, and on some of our older jobs, this works fine and still does but this new one works differently.

So I am unsure as to how you drop the imaging job onto the client before the client appears in altiris.

ianatkin's picture

This should work fine, and I would see if we could figure out this before I tell you about the 'other' ways.

Are you sure that the imaging environment you are booting into is the one in defined in the imaging job? Might also be worth at this point making sure you are ONLY building WinPE x86 environments into PXE -not x86 and x64 as this leads to a lot of confusion!

Star Center's picture

So far we have only been able to make a x64 environment boot up to where we can see the unit in altiris.  Anything else fails to get a DHCP address from altiris.  We are using a newly created imaging job but I don't recall assigning an environment during creation.

ianatkin's picture

If you didn't assign any imaging environment, it will be the default on (see the PXE Configuration utility -> DS Tab).

Might be worth editing the job to assign the automation environment into it specifically.

Kind Regards,
Ian./

Star Center's picture

Ian,

I have tried several combinations and have not progressed.  We have resorted to formal assitance and training.

Thanks for your help.

ianatkin's picture

Training is never a bad thing! There are some training notes I wrote a while back for DS6.9 which you might find a useful complement to your official route,

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/deployment-server-69-quick-start-course-part-1-introduction

ianatkin's picture

Am marking yogeshsadhu's response as the answer here, as he gave clear instructions as to how to load drivers and what their bootwiz final path should be (which answers the posters initial query).