Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris 6.9.4 - Job doesn't continue after code condition

Posted May 18, 2011 09:06 AM

Hello all,  don't know if anyone has experienced this but I'm running into a problem with a job I have to install software that is dependent on .net.  In the job there is a task that runs a VB script to check the currently installed .NET version.  If the version required for the software is not present, it will produce an error code that I have added in the return code list that will kick off a job to install .NET. 

This works fine for the most part, the .NET gets installed without errors, but the problem is it does not go back to the original job to continue to the next task.  It "appears" it does because if you look in status detail there is a blue arrow on the next task... but nothing is running and the original job just has the scheduled timeclock icon.

I'm not sure if it's because the .NET installation reboots the PC or not.  Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Altiris 6.9.4 - Job doesn't continue after code condition
    Best Answer

Posted May 18, 2011 10:15 AM

It might well be due to a reboot, but there the question is if you do suppress the reboot or not?

Also, if I get this right, the scenario is:

Job 1 executes and where no appropriate .NET is found, it exits with a defined error code and calls another job;

Job 2 installs the .NET and then calls Job 1 again?

Question, why don't you simply add a condition into the job checking if .NET is installed and if not, include it into the one job? That would be simpler and easier to handle I guess.

-BBC

• 3.  RE: Altiris 6.9.4 - Job doesn't continue after code condition

Posted May 23, 2011 12:35 PM

Hi BBC thanks for the reply.  I actually had the switch for reboot in the install command for .NET and I think that's what did it.  I switched to a reboot supress flag on the install with a power reboot job afterwards and it worked just fine.  I think it's because the DS will wait until the machine comes back online from the reboot with a power control job.

I probably should use conditions like you said.  I've felt more comfortable handling these things in my own scripts but you bring up a good point.  I should take a look into it.

Thanks