Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 01, 2013 04:03 PM

Our organization has recently purchased Altiris for Deployment. I have been testing Scripted OS installation to deploy Windows 7 Ent. x64, however I have ran into some minor issues. This is my situation:

I have a Client task list that does the following tasks:

1. Earse Disk

2. Partition Disk

3. Install Windows 7 Ent. x64

4. Reboot to production

5. A second Reboot to Production (I need a second reboot)

Now everything up to step 4 above works fine, however step 5 does not work!

I have checked to see it the Altiris agent is installed after step 4 above and it is installed. I have also enabled the Deployment Plug-in policy on the default group. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 01, 2013 06:24 PM

Try putting a dummy command in between the Reboot tasks, maybe one that wait a few seconds:

ping -n 20 127.0.0.1

• 3.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 02, 2013 02:58 AM
    Hi, Instead of using Reboot to Production use a Power control Task or a Script with shutdown -r -t 2 in step 5. Regards

• 4.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 08, 2013 11:11 AM

Just an additional note as md investigate has the correct solution.

I'm not sure how Step 4 is working but I would also change that task the same way you change step 5 to use a power control task (restart).

I have been doing win7 SOI's for a long time with deployment and when the SOI is complete it always is already in Production so it is really strange that Step 4 is also working unless you are doing something strange in your SOI config.

• 5.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 08, 2013 02:28 PM

I believe Reboot to Production fails because you are in Production already, at least this is the behavior we see, we use PXE...

So the above is most probably the solution if you wanted an extra restart.

Also I think you don't need step 4 - successful Install Windows Ent x64 will reboot in production anyway.

Do you use PXE or Automation Folders?

• 6.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 09, 2013 03:25 AM

Hi,

you are right. The steps 4 and 5 are not necessary. Of course, the scripted install should restart it self at the end of the os installation.

Regards

• 7.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 10, 2013 10:03 AM

Thank you all for your responses.

I removed boot to production and I am now just using the Reboot task, which is the windows shutdown /r command.  It's working now.  :)

However,  I just updated to version 7.5 that came out yesterday and now the OS depolyment does not complete! Everything was working fine in 7.1!

So now, I get as far as Windows 7 Ent. x64 install.  Once the machine successfully install the OS and logs in, it sits there and does not pickup the rest of the install packages.  I looked to see if the agent is installed and it is.  What I noticed was the agent is installed, but it is not showing in systray! So, its not running or loading.

Again, this process was working fine before the upgrade to 7.5.  So, now the agent is not running and it will not get the rest of tasks, including the deployment plug in.

Any ideas?

• 8.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 10, 2013 10:57 AM

Hi,

maybe better to open a new thread for the new issue. ;)

As far as I understand the Agent Service is not started in services? Did you had a look into the log file of the agent? You can find in "%programdata%\symantec\Symantec Agent\Logs".

Regards

• 9.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 12, 2013 03:40 AM

Hi all,

Correction to my previous post.

In 7.5 there is a new option under: Install Windows OS Options / Reboot / Do not reboot the client after SOI.

Just un-check the box and SOI starts behaving as we knew it in 7.1.

Hope this helps...

• 10.  RE: Altiris 7.1.8400 Scripted OS Install - Task issue

Posted Oct 14, 2013 08:02 AM

Thank you everyone.