Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris Deployment Solution CPU at 100%

Posted Jul 05, 2011 12:58 PM

Just reinstalled Altiris Deployment Solution 6.9 SP4 from scratch on a new server (new name and IP) with a new database. Installed it on VMware ESXi 4.1. Then pointed my old clients to the new server. Noticed that the CPU was running at 100% on the new server, and axengine.exe was the culprit.

I increased the VM to 2 CPUs, then 4 CPUs, and it was up to 75% CPU usage on 4 CPUs.

I figured out the problem, which was something with agent encryption. CPU was at 0% until I installed an agent and enabled its encryption on Production Agent Settings, Security tab, checked "Encrypt session communication with Deployment Agent". Then the CPU on the server started to spike. Didn't matter whether I had "Require encrypted session with any server" checked or not.

Uninstalled the agent from that machine (Win7 x64), then reinstalled it with no encryption set. My server CPU is staying at 0%.

• 2.  RE: Altiris Deployment Solution CPU at 100%
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2011 09:22 AM

I found the real culrpit. I forgot to put the Windows account that the Altiris Express Server Windows service runs under in the local administrators group. It is a domain account, and I had assumed it was a domain admin account, so it would be in the local admins group on the server since it's joined to my domain.