Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Altiris Implementation for 800 client systems, suggestions please.

Created: 26 Nov 2012 • Updated: 26 Nov 2012 | 5 comments

Hi,

We are implementing Altiris in aur organization for about 800 client systems. The solutions we will be installing are:

1.Client management Suite

2.Server Management Suite

3.Asset Management Suite

4.ServiceDesk

I want to know what will be the optimum architecture for this scenario, till now we have decided the following 2 servers

1. SQL 2008 Standard (8 cores 16gb RAM)

2. Symantec managemnt platform with above mentioned 4 solutions (8 cores, 16gb Ram)

Please tell me wheter these configurations will be enough for the mentioned scenario or do I need more servers and what should be the most efficient and recommended way to implement these solutions for 800 client systems.

Thanks

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

andykn101's picture

You will also need a ServiceDesk server with a similar specification to your SMP Server.

You should have a duplicate test environment for ServiceDesk as a minimum to test and develop workflows, this is very difficult to do on a live ServiceDesk server.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

Mahendra Patel's picture

Is it not possible to have ServiceDesk on the same server as SMP because ITMS can be installed on the same server whic includes ServiceDesk?

andykn101's picture

The SMP hosts the ServiceDesk Solution software but the ServiceDesk application software itself must be installed on a separate servers. The SQL server can be separate or hosted on either the SMP or ServiceDesk server.

See the "Planning to install ServiceDesk" section of the ServiceDesk Implementation guide. From the 7.5 doc:

"Symantec does not support the following server configuration:

Symantec Management Platform with ServiceDesk Solution software installed on the same server as the ServiceDesk application software.

Note: The Symantec Management Platform with ServiceDesk
Solution must be installed to a separate server than the actual ServiceDesk application server."

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Mahendra Patel's picture

SO I will need three servers as follows

1. SQL database server

2. Server for Altiris CMS, Asset Management, Server Management and ServiceDesk "Solution"

3. Service Desk "Application" Server

Is there any "must have" hardware requirement other than these three servers.

Can you point me to a best guide for the beginner for ServiceDesk?

Thanks

andykn101's picture

You could install SQL on either the Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server) or the ServiceDesk application server.

If you get many more than 800 clients you should think about having a separate Task Server (the max recommended for the Task Service on a Notification Server is usually 500 clients).

The only real docs for ServiceDesk 7.5 are the official Symantec ones, the Implementation Guide and User Guide.