Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris Notification Server 6.0 - AD import with Server 2008 issue

Posted Oct 09, 2014 02:26 PM

I am running Notification Server 6.0.6074 (SP3 + R13) and up until we upgraded our domain controllers from windows server 2003 to server 2008, everything was working. I have two active rules to import the computer and User resources from our domain name. After the server team changed the Global catalog and the FSMO to a windows 2008 server, nothing is being imported.

The Altiris log Viewer has about 15 of the errors below during the schduled import time:

"10/9/2014 2:10:29 AM","An error occurred while running ResourceMergeMergeOptionByUsernameDomain. Error in the application.","Altiris.AssetControl.Settings.DuplicateUserMerge.ExecuteDuplicateUserMerge","aexsvc.exe","4628"

Now, we still have one domain controller that is running Windows Server 2003. If I change the name of the resource where it is pulling the data from the domain name, to the windows server 2003 DC, everything is imported. However, we cannot keep this 2003 server forever.

Should Altiris be able to import this data from a 2008 domain? Under resource selection it shows the domain type as only Windows 2000/2003. I guess the new 7.0 version includes 2008.

What can be done, if anything, to get the import to work besides upgrading to NS 7? I found this hotfix, but I believe this fix is already included in the R13 update. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC1963

Please help!

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Altiris Notification Server 6.0 - AD import with Server 2008 issue

Posted Oct 10, 2014 01:00 AM

R13 should provide AD 2008 support.  In fact, I believe that my lab used to have a 2008 DC, which means that my NS 6 AD imports would have been working. 

Try running a repair against R13, just in case a repair to the NS was performed sometime back without also repairing R13 afterwards.

• 3.  RE: Altiris Notification Server 6.0 - AD import with Server 2008 issue

Posted Oct 13, 2014 10:38 AM

I don't think a repair would do anything because the import tool was working fine. It's the error message -

"DuplicateUserMerge.ExecuteDuplicateUserMerge" that is intriguing. Seems like there there might be duplicate records somewhere and it is unable to merge them together.

The lab box is working correctly importing the names. When running the query - "SELECT * FROM TaskManager" I am getting back 35 different results with some of them different TaskID's.

There has got to be something in the SQL tables which is blocking this from happening. What options do you think I have?

• 4.  RE: Altiris Notification Server 6.0 - AD import with Server 2008 issue

Posted Oct 13, 2014 11:05 AM

It has been known for the TaskManager table to be linked to certain issues, and that truncating that table has resolved them, so you may wish to try that. 

I only mentioned the RU repair because it is the RUn that contains the 2008 support.