Video Screencast Help

Altiris RS 6.2.2801 - License and Backup Cleanup

Created: 01 Oct 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 3 comments

We have 150 licenses for use with the Altiris Recovery Solution.  We upgraded to version 6.2.2801 a little while back and have been having consistent issues since that time.  We intially had an (re-)install type screen popping   up on every machine that previously had the client installed.  We made it past that issue, however we do not want this to happen again...

We have approximately 40 PC's that SHOULD have the agent installed to them and be being backed up, however, the Altiris reports 141 licenses IN-USE.  By using the pre-created report "," there are 132 computers with the agent installed.  How are more licenses in-use than agents installed?  How do I correct this and remove the agent silently from those 90+ machines that should not be being backed up?  I do not want end-users to know that the client is being touched (removed).

A second issue is space contstraints that we have recently encountered.  We have alloted some SAN space for these backups - 450 GB.  We are only backing up Documents and Settings, not full systems and this should be more than enough space for around 40 PC backups.  However, with all 141/132(?) PC's data being thrown onto the system, we have no available space left.  How can I remove all of these obsolete snapshots and extraneous backups?  If need be, can I simply delete all of the blob files and allow the Recovery System to grab a new backup on the next scheduled run for each PC?

All thoughts and help is greatly appreciated...

Thank you,

Matt

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

KSchroeder's picture

The RS licensing question is a bit tricky; there are some other threads here which discuss it, so do a search and see what you find.

As for cleaning up space...you should review your default Exclusions (both folders and file types) and revise your retention settings on the Space Management tab.  Also run the "largest files" report; I ran this recently and found several file types we were backing up that weren't necessary such as *.c2d (some Roxio cd-image file), *.trc (an Oracle trace file), *.tar.gz, *.tgz, etc.  The next SSM job should purge those if you have checked the option to "Delete recently excluded file types".

Thanks,
Kyle
Symantec Trusted Advisor

For Forum threads, please click "Mark as Solution" if answered.
For all content, please give a thumbs up if you agree with or support the post.

mforrester's picture

I appreciate your attempt to answer this question.  I am not so concerned with the current files being backed up as I am concerned that too many computers are being backed up.  I believe that licensing and PC count cleanup is required in order to resolve this issue.  I have done my research here on this forum (so I believe) and have not found a helpful solution.  Licensing is very poorly handled by Altiris as far as I can determine....:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/does-anyone-use-altiris-recovery-solution-and-have-way-fix-mess - It's plausible that we have an issue with Duplicate GUID's, yet I don't know how to identify whether this is part of the cause of the licensing issues.  Thoughts?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-do-i-delete-associations-old-computer-accounts & https://kb.altiris.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=24396&r=0.8118708  - This isn't a solution as the PC's listed in error in RS are not retired resources, but in-use and NOT requiring backups (thus not needing purged).

https://kb.altiris.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=39330&r=0.8110773 - Not useful as I already have a count mismatch that I cannot account for...

To recover some file system space, I am looking at https://kb.altiris.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=25096&r=0.1998102. Is this still a valid article and useful for my predicament at all?

Thank you again for the help...

-Matt

KSchroeder's picture

First, how did the agent get installed on 90 PCs that it shouldn't have been?    If you know which computers you want to remove it from, just create a new collection (with an Exclusion of "Computers Requiring Recovery Agent Install" so that they are removed from the collection once they are removed) and add the incorrectly backed up machines to that collection.  On the RS Agent Uninstall policy, be sure to uncheck the default collection, or else you'll uninstall from all clients.  Then apply that policy to the collection you created above.  Also check the "Delete account from the Recovery Solution cluster"  check box.  The default RS Agent uninstall program runs silently and does not force a reboot (though one is required to remove it completely).  The next Deletion or SSM job after the policy runs on the client will remove the unneeded data.

Duplicate GUIDs is unlikely as the source of the issue, since if anything that would actually reduce the # of in-use licenses (since multiple physical PCs will appear in the NS console as a single machine)

What report were you looking at?  In your text above it shows the report name as ",".

Advanced Lost BLOB handling will not fix your problem; that is for use when you delete or otherwise lose one or more BLOB files. Deleting BLOBs manually should never be done (unless you have determined that you have BLOB files which aren't referenced in the RS database, which is not common).

RS licensing is a bit "messed up", partially because RS used to be a stand-alone product, and has been integrated into the NS platform.  Have you had a look at the "Manage Lost Recovery Solution Agents" tool on Configuration > Solution Settings > Incident > Recovery Solution > RS Cluster Configuration?  You may have some machines showing up there.  See AKB 34389 for numerous reasons *why* a computer account can be considered "lost".

Thanks,
Kyle
Symantec Trusted Advisor

For Forum threads, please click "Mark as Solution" if answered.
For all content, please give a thumbs up if you agree with or support the post.