Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Altirs CMS database move - SQL 2005 to 2008 R2 or 2005

Posted Jan 30, 2011 01:51 PM

Hello.

Environment: CMS (v7.x) installed on Windows Server 2003, 32 bit, SQL off-box. The DS 6.9 installed on the seperate box, uses SQL Express database.

The CMS database is on SQL 2005, Win Server 2003 Standard 32 bit (the server name is "SQL1"). I need to move the Symantec_CMDB database to a diffrent server. What I am going to do is:

- Shut down the Altiris box and create full backup of the Symantec_CMDB database.

--- and now I have two options, please advise ----

Option 1.

1. Deploy a new server - Windows 2008 R2, 64 bit. The server will have different name  e.g. "SQL2". Install the SQL 2008 R2.

2. Restore the CMS database to a new server.

3. Turn on the Altiris box, open the management console, and go to Settings->Notification Server->Database Settings and change the SQL server name field to "SQL2"

Q: Is it going to work? Is it a proper procedure for moving the database? Is SQL 2008 supported / Is SQL 2008 R2 supported by Altiris?

Option 2.

All details as in option 1 but with installation of SQL 2005.

Q: Is it "a safer" option/ way to go? What do you suggest? I know that SQL 2005 is recommended for CMS. I have an oportunity to start using SQL 2008 but if it is going to make problems I do not mind sticking to 2005 version.

Q: Is the Symantec_CMDB database the only one which I have to move?

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Altirs CMS database move - SQL 2005 to 2008 R2 or 2005
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2011 11:09 PM

See the following KB articles:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8627

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9965">http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO32608">http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9965

Per the Platform Support Matrix, SQL 2008 SP1 is supported under NS7 SP5, but not R2.

• 3.  RE: Altirs CMS database move - SQL 2005 to 2008 R2 or 2005

Posted Jan 31, 2011 06:10 AM

Thanks Kyle.

I decided to move it to the SQL 2005 - I think it's a safer option.

Q:

1. Is there any test which I can run after migration which would check if everything is ok?

2. I looked at the HOWTO8627 - I do not make any changes to the NS server, in such case, I think that the option 3 is the most suitable - do yuo agree? - I am not 100% sure because the "If you are running Symantec Management Platform (NS7.x)" option is described on the bottom of the page.

3. Is it possible that NS creates additional database on the SQL server e.g. dsclient, dsdelta, dslanfiles - I can see them on the SQL server but I do not know what they are...

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Altirs CMS database move - SQL 2005 to 2008 R2 or 2005

Posted Jan 31, 2011 11:26 AM

Don't forget a complete backup/restore plan before you begin.  I did this once and it didn't go at all as described in the KB.

In general, after you move the database and complete the steps, you'll want to reboot your NS and disable your old DB to ensure everything has gone well.  In my case, it was still referencing the old DB and I had to peform some manual steps to complete the work.  If your old DB is disabled, and you can load the Console, you should be fine.

For DS 6.9, you may need to run the security tool -- DSDBSecurity.exe -- as well as update ODBC System DSN connections to point to the new server.

I may be way off here, but I believe the dsclient, dsdelta, and dslanfiles are part of a backup utility.  You may want to check with your SQL administrator or your backup administrator, or both.

Option 3 is what I used after the GUI-based method failed.

• 5.  RE: Altirs CMS database move - SQL 2005 to 2008 R2 or 2005

Posted Feb 06, 2011 09:57 PM

As far as checking if everything is OK...your best bet will be to use the console, try creating reports, filters, etc.  Also watch the Logviewer to check for any database-related SQL errors, etc.  Be sure that the database is in "Simple" recovery mode; "full Logging" mode will greatly impact (in a bad way) your performance, as will Bulk Logged (I believe).

As for the other questions...yes option 3 is probably best, and not sure about those other databases...however I'm currently still using NS6.  I did not find any reference to dsdelta or dslanfiles in the Symantec knowledgebase...so I would assume you can leave them out.  Are you running any sort of add-on solutions (3rd party) for DS?

• 6.  RE: Altirs CMS database move - SQL 2005 to 2008 R2 or 2005

Posted Mar 04, 2011 01:32 PM

Thanks for all help. The migration went well!