File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted May 21, 2012 01:16 PM

PGP Engine crash after I enter a password for a wde encrypted disk, even if I click cancel on the enter password window.. underlying pgpwde process seams to work, but that is very annoying. Have to open PGP.app so that PGP Engine start again for every disk. Anyone else having the same issue ?

here a crash log when I click cancel:

Application Specific Information:

objc[196]: garbage collection is OFF

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'PGPSDKException [-11987]', reason: 'User cancelled passphrase dialog (user cancelled)

'

*** Call stack at first throw:

(

0   CoreFoundation                      0x90ef4a67 __raiseError + 231

1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x97df4149 objc_exception_throw + 155

2   PGP Engine                          0x000d266f -[CPGPWDEController getPassphraseForWholeDiskUUID:] + 2668

3   PGP Engine                          0x000ca349 _Z29getPassphraseForWholeDiskUUIDPh + 97

4   PGP Engine                          0x0013bec1 _ZN10VerifyUser12authenticateEv + 97

5   PGP Engine                          0x0013c3f9 _Z17keyRequestedEventR14WDEEventStruct + 47

6   PGP Engine                          0x0013c489 _ZN19KeyRequestedHandler11handleEventERKN3PGP6WDESDK8WDEEventE + 103

7   PGPwdesdk                           0x00cb6e11 _ZN3PGP6WDESDK12EventManager12notifyThreadEv + 483

8   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x94314ed9 _pthread_start + 335

9   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x943186de thread_start + 34

)

• 2.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted May 21, 2012 01:23 PM

Is this with a removable disk being attached to the system? Or when are you entering a password to access the encrypted disk? Are you using filevault on the machine at all?

• 3.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted May 22, 2012 04:48 AM

Startup disk is wde, have 3 other wde drives attached via USB.

When I boot and the finder comes up, the PGP panel shows up for me to enter the password for the external drive, if I click cancel, just after the panel closes, PGPEngine will crash (report in my previous post), if I enter the password, the drive will mount correctly but PGPEngine will crash just after the password prompt panel close, with following report:

Thread 22 Crashed:

0   com.yourcompany.PGPwdesdk      0x00cb5088 PGP::WDESDK::PartitionImpl::isBootable() + 108

1   com.yourcompany.PGPwdesdk      0x00caba6a PGP::WDESDK::Partition::isBootable() const + 22

2   com.pgp.framework.PGPclient    0x00b48e26 -[CEchoWholeDisk initWithDiskUUID:] + 2197

3   com.pgp.engine                 0x000cd68e -[CPGPWDEController currentlyConnectedWholeDisks] + 468

4   com.pgp.engine                 0x000ce6b9 -[CPGPWDEController checkWholeDisks] + 279

5   com.pgp.engine                 0x000d1483 -[CPGPWDEController checkForWDEEvents] + 291

6   com.apple.Foundation           0x9b8e5e25 -[NSThread main] + 45

7   com.apple.Foundation           0x9b8e5dd5 __NSThread__main__ + 1582

8   libsystem_c.dylib              0x97e14ed9 _pthread_start + 335

9   libsystem_c.dylib              0x97e186de thread_start + 34

after this I have to open PGP.app so that PGPEngine will restart, then the password prompt panel will show again for the second external drive, after entering password, PGPEngine crash again, and so on for the third drive.

No FileVault here.

Behaviour started after installing PGP 10.2.1

Before that the only issue I had was when encrypting external USB drives (1TB) a PGP component was crashing in the middle of the encryption processs, not remember if that was PGP.app, PGPEngine or pgpwde, not sure, but I thing the computer just hang. Rebooting the machine and the encryption process continued, this a couple of times before finishing the encryption process.

If you need more infos or complete crash reports, I'm here 8-)

Thank you for taking care of our security concern, have a good day!

• 4.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted Jul 30, 2012 09:12 AM

installed 10.2.1 MP2, issue still there, pgp engine crashing, see above

is this issue being worked out?

Thank you !

• 5.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted Aug 10, 2012 01:05 PM

PGP_Ben ?

Any news on this?

Do you need more crash logs, other infos?

Thank you and have a great day!

• 6.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted Aug 14, 2012 10:41 AM

Feel free to attach more crash logs if you have them. it might also be useful to put the PGP Desktop client in debug mode.

See here for putting PGP Desktop in Debug Mode on OS X:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148947

What OS version are you running? Also, how are you deploying your OS? Through an image or is this a fresh install off the CD?

• 7.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted Sep 15, 2012 04:35 AM

Ben , I followed the procedure to put the client in debug mode.

Where do I get the debug logs?

I have more crash logs, can u provide an email address where to send them?

I'm running OS X 10.7.4 , I upgraded from 10.6.x to 10.7 to 10.7.1 to 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 to 10.7.4

Mac running PGP is a MacBookPro6,2 model (Intel Core I7 2.66GHz, Intel HD Graphics + NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M)

The PGP Desktop app show very inconsistent proggress graph and time remaning upon disk decryption

Also, one disk stopped decrypting, no way to pause/continue thru PGP Desktop app,

had to go to Terminal:

pgpwde --status --disk 1
    Disk 1 is instrumented by bootguard.
      Encryption removal process interrupted by unknown system error
      Current key is valid.
    Whole disk encrypted
      Total sectors: 1953525168 lowwatermark: 1955862 highwatermark: 1953525151 
    Request sent to Disk status was successful

I could restart the decryption process on the disk with:

pgpwde --resume --disk 1 --passphrase xxxx
    Request sent to Resume encrypt or decrypt was successful

Launching a disk encryption thru PGP Desktop app, randomly crash the application before process ends,

happened to all my external drives, althought the encryption completed after some restart.

Hopefully we get the Mountain Lion PGP update sooner than later and it will finally fixx all these random inconsistencies !

ps: I have a one year subscription and hoping to get some free extension as per the many issues.

Thank you and have a great day!

• 8.  RE: another problem after 10.2.1 upgrade

Posted Sep 17, 2012 12:54 PM

Contact me via my profile on Symantec connect. From there, you can send me an email message which will go to my work email address. I would like to get a copy of the debug logs. You can view those by going to the PGP Engine app and right clicking and selecting the option to "show log". Then selecting Verbose mode below. Then re-attempt to encrypt the drive or reattach the drives so that we can get the output. Then click "save".

The more logs you can give me, the better, also please obtain a copy of your system profile report in an RTF format. See here for information on how to do this.

http://guides.macrumors.com/System_Profiler